8: Right Now

"I never told my mom we are dating," Maya starts, "and I've also never really came out to her yet."

"Why not?" Riley asks the blonde.

"Because what if she leaves just like he did, Riley?"

"Maya, you're mom would never leave you. She loves you."

"Yeah, well there is something about me that seems to make people I love the most always want leave."

"That's not true," Riley retorts.

"Yes, it-"

"No it's not," Riley reaffirms. "I could never leave you. If at the end of the day, it's just you and me, I hope you realize that I will always be by your side."

"Thanks, Riles," Maya smiles.

"You are going to have to tell her eventually, you know?"

"I know."

"Then why not now?" Riley asks.

"What? Now?"

"Yeah, right now. You two could sit right here in the bay window, where you know you're safe, and you could tell her, Maya. I'll wait right outside of my room in case you need me."

"But what if now isn't the right time?"

"What if the right time never comes? Right now is just as good as any."

Maya thinks for a second before asking, "you'll be waiting for me if it doesn't go well?"

"I'll be right here whenever you need me, Peaches," Riley says before kissing the blonde's forehead.

Maya smiles, "okay, I've got this."

"Maya?" Katy says peaking her head into the room.

"Hi, mom," Maya replies confidently.

"I need to talk to you, Baby Girl," the mother says as she sits down next to her daughter.

"No, I need to talk to you."

"About what?" The mother asks, quite confused.

"Me," is all the girl responds.

"You?"

"Yeah, me. I know I've always been kind of distant from you about personal stuff, but that was never you're fault, it was mine. I thought it was better to hide myself than to ask for help," Maya pauses. "I'd like to tell you something about me that I've been hiding from you... If that's okay," she says shyly.

"Of course," Katy says with a smile on her face.

Maya closes her eyes and takes a deep breathe, as she feels her fears once again start to take over her. "Riley is right outside the door. She will always be there for you. She will love you even if no one else does," the girl reassures herself.

"Okay... Mom...," Maya pauses before letting out," I'm gay, in love with Riley and we are now kind of dating."

Katy's smile vanishes and tears form in her eyes.

"Mom, I'm sorry-"

Maya is interrupted by her mother's embrace, "Thank you so much, Baby Girl."

"For what?" Maya asks.

"For finally opening up to me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: Sorry for how short this chapter was. I am really excited, yet scared for my next chapter... We're finally going to head to Mr. Matthew's classroom for a lesson...