10: Right or Wrong

"Hey, Farkle. I was wondering if I could stay with you for a while. I chose my side."

"I don't know what that means, but come in," Farkle responds, gesturing the other boy to enter his home.

The two head to Farkle's room and they both sit down.

"So, you were the one at war?" Farkle asks.

Lucas nods in agreement. "Yeah."

"What happened?"

"Well, I use to talk about Riley and Maya to my mom a lot, but after I figured out my feelings for them, I no longer had to. Then they started dating, and you know I couldn't be happier for them. I will always love them, Farkle."

"I know that, Lucas. I will always love them too. But what's the problem?"

"Remember last week, when I punched that locker?"

Farkle quietly nods.

"When I got home that day, my mom asked what happened and I told her I did it to protect Riley and Maya."

"And that's what you did, you protected them," Farkle says.

"Yeah, but then she asked why I wasn't talking about them as much anymore. I said I choose not to split them up, because they are both at their best when they are together."

Farkle smiles, agreeing with what Lucas said.

"That's when she asked if I realized that eventually a boy would come along and choose between one of them, and asked why if I liked them so much I couldn't be that boy. I told her she was wrong that no one could ever choose between them. That's when I..." Lucas' voice leaves him, making him unable to finish his sentence.

"Told her they were dating," Farkle helps him.

Lucas nods, his face expressionless.

"And she didn't react well," Farkle finishes.

"She said that love could only be between a man and a woman. That they are just confused."

"They aren't," Farkle comments, "they love each other."

"I know that, Farkle," Lucas raises his voice, more mad at his mother than his friend. "I told her that and do you know what she said to me?"

Farkle doesn't respond, becoming somewhat afraid of the anger in the other boy's voice.

"She told me that I was wrong to stand up for them, and that they are wrong to be who they are," he pauses to regain his composure. "She told me I'm not allowed to be friends with them anymore... She doesn't even want me to see them anymore. She called the school to ask if I could have my schedule changed, so I wouldn't have classes with them anymore... I love my mother, Farkle, but she is wrong."

"You're torn between your friends and your family," Farkle adds.

"Yeah, but I think I chose my side," Lucas says getting up and looking inside a bag he brought with him.

He takes out a white teeshirt and pulls it over his head, above the shirt he already had on.

Lucas turns back towards Farkle. "I 'heart' NY," Farkle says reading what's on the shirt.

"I got it on my very first day here."

"That's you're side?" Farkle questions.

"Yeah... I guess you can call me Mr. New York now," Lucas laughs to himself.

"I don't think I'm going to call you that," Farkle responds.

There is a minute of silence as both of the friends think to theirselves.

"She threatened to send me back to Texas," Lucas interrupts.

"What?" Farkle exclaims.

"She already contacted the school down there. They said they would let me back in, even though I was expelled from middle school... She bought the plane ticket... It's for this Friday."

"Luacs, that's in just four days!"

"I know," the boy responds.

"Well, I guess the only question now is, are you willing to fight for what is 'right' and make it wrong?"

"I am," Lucas confirms. "I hope in the end that I will have both sides back together and be whole again."

"If that's how it's meant to be, it will be."

"Thanks, Farkle."

"No problem," Farkle assures Lucas. "So... Do you want to spend the night?"

"Oh good, I was hoping you would ask me that. My mom kind of sent me to the shed and we don't really even have a shed, so I had nowhere to go. Plus, I already have all of my stuff. Look I even brought a sleeping bag," Lucas says pulling one out of his bag.

"I see that," Farkle smiles.