Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Sunrise before the Sacrifice

Evangeline (Stephanie Bertram Rose) is to the left, Anastasia (Jasmine Sanders) is on the right. 

Evangeline Salvatore

Three weeks had come and gone and the next thing I knew it was the day before the ritual. It was also the most stressful day of the century because all hell had broken loose in three weeks. There were a plethora of good things that happened that should've balanced out the bad but the bad seemed to loom over me and place an invisible weight on my shoulders that made the heels of my feet grind into the pavement with every step I took  that day.

My brothers found out the truth within the three weeks and instead of accepting it, they were hell bent on trying to prevent it from being true. They seriously thought that after shunning me for weeks and disowning me, now that they knew I "couldn't help it" they wanted to help me and be my brothers again. Honest to god, I laughed in their faces and slammed the door of the mansion in their faces.

Being the stubborn Salvatores that they were, they continued to pester me about it. I got endless phone calls from both of my brothers telling me that they were going to find a way around my "fate" and that I wouldn't have to be stuck with Niklaus for an eternity. It must've flown past their heads that I was actually in love with Nik and I wasn't afraid of my fate.

The only thing I was worried about, ironically, was killing him when the time came but it's not like it mattered to my brothers, they were convinced they were helping.

On the positive side of things, Rebekah agreed to be the vampire for the ritual and Anastasia was convinced she had a perfect unus candidate for the ritual, though she still refused to say who it was. Also, Elena had a change of heart—probably from all of the shit my brothers were putting me through with their delusions—and decided that she would give her blood for the ritual but it was the last time she would give her blood for Klaus. I refrained from telling her it was actually for me directly and figured she was hinting at the fact that Nik had tried to drain her like a river for blood for his hybrids before my brother intervened.

I wondered for a short period of time if they were going to change her into a vampire and then I stopped caring and all of the curiosity vanished.

Another good thing is that yesterday Esther came back but she was hardly a threat seeing as she died right after. I offered comfort to Nik but he seemed to be more relieved than upset with losing a parent, I couldn't really blame him much for that part.

Meanwhile, the day before the full moon, I woke up to my phone ringing again and guess who it was?

"Hello Stefan" the smugness in Nik's British accent as he answered my phone (which he had probably done too many times) told me he was going to antagonize my brother but I didn't even lift my head. Instead, I cuddled more against my mate's warm, hard, naked chest and listened to the secret that only I could hear as I listened in on the conversation.

"I want to speak to my sister" Hearing my brother call me his sister lead to a nostalgic pang in my chest.

I couldn't deny that I missed Stefan and Damon. I missed running around the Boardinghouse with them rough housing like we were kids again. I missed their bad nicknames and their surprisingly good cooking. I missed the blues and greens of their eyes. I missed them being my family. But, I absolutely refused to return to those old tactics and leave behind my new family.

Klaus, Rebekah, Elijah, Anastasia, they each meant the world to me and I loved them like they were related to me by blood--or bound, in Niklaus's case. My brother wanted me to completely disregard them and that was simply impossible at this point.