three

Jacob had immediately called the pack to Mason's house. Explaining the situation, the pack broke into pairs and searched the town to familiarize the scent. Bella called Mason, someone had been in her house also.

"Someone's been in here too." Edward agreed with Jacob.

"Who was it? Someone we know?" Bella asked.

The group walked out of Mason's house.

"Just a stranger. I didn't recognize his scent." Jacob answered.

"A nomad passing through?" Carlisle offered.

"A passer-by who broke into our house to what? Snoop?" Mason spoke up, the four men looked at each other.

"His scent disappeared about five miles south of the house." Sam told them, coming out of the woods.

"Someone's orchestrating this." Carlisle said.

"Victoria?" Mason asked, crossing her arms.

"I would've seen her deciding." Alice admitted.

"It has to be the Volturi."

"The vol-who?" Mason asked.

"I don't think it's the Volturi either. I've been watching Aro's decisions, too." Alice ignored her question.

"So we keep looking." Edward explained.

"We also take shifts, guarding the girls at their house." Sam nodded at Jacob's words.

"Another protection detail?" Rosalie asked in annoyance.

"Rosalie." Edward warned.

"No, she's right. You can't protect me, search for the intruder, and for Victoria." Mason admitted.

"And keep yourselves fed." Bella added.

"I'm not leaving you here defenseless." Jacob told Mason.

"Well, I'm not gonna let you overwork yourself. And I wouldn't be unprotected, I have..."

"What? The Cullens?" He asked sharply, Mason sighed and looked down. "Whoever it was, he left his stink behind. It'll be hard to miss when we cross it again. We'll handle it from here."

"We don't need you to handle anything. Or anyone." Edward argued.

"I could care less what you need." Jacob spoke through clenched teeth.

Mason and Bella looked at each other with their mouths slightly open.

"Alright, we're done here." Edward scoffed.

"No, you're done here." Jacob stepped forward. "Why are you so worried about protecting Mason, you barely know her. She's my girlfriend, I'll protect her; protect yours."

"Stop." Mason stood between this. "I'm tired of this. From now on I'm Switzerland, okay?" She looked at the two, focusing her attention on Jacob and giving him a look that he sighed at.

●●●

The weeks to follow were better than Mason thought. The wolves and the Cullens were working together. Taking shifts to allow the other to sleep or eat. Bella had been sleeping at Mason's house pretty much every night. Jacob crashing a few nights.

"Hey, beautiful." Jacob greeted, walking into the kitchen.

"Hi." She said, kissing him.

"So, whaddaya two wanna do today? I have the day off. Bike, hike, hang? Your call." He sat on the counter. He watched as Mason and Bella made sandwiches. "Or we're going to a party tonight."