six

A few days later, Mason stood in the middle of a field, surrounded by the Cullens. The brunette checked her phone when it vibrated in her pocket.

"The pack's on their way." She informed the family.

"Good. We've been here forever." Rosalie said with an eye roll.

"It's been six minutes." Mason said in confusion.

Rosalie gave her a sarcastic response. "Thank you, all mighty time keeper."

Mason raised her eyebrows. Rosalie was probably her favorite; she was very blunt.

"They're here." Edward said, able to hear their thoughts. "They don't trust us enough to be in their human forms."

"They came. That's what matters." Carlisle said with a smile.

Emerging from the woods was the pack. They were definitely intimidating. Mason had only seen Jacob in wolf form a few times, but she knew which one he was without hesitation.

"Hey." She greeted, petting him on the head, getting a huff in return.

"Can i...pet him?" Bella asked, standing beside the two.

Mason laughed and watched Edward hold in his amusement.

Bella began to scratch Jacob behind his ear.

"This isn't weird at all." The Swan girl said slowly.

"Will you translate?" Carlisle asked Edward, the mind-reader nodding in agreement.

"Welcome. Jasper has experience with newborns. He'll teach us how to defeat them." The doctor began.

"They want to know how the 'newborns' differ from us." Edward told him.

"They're a great deal stronger than us, because their own human blood lingers in their tissues. Our kind is never more physically powerful than in our first several months of this life."

"Carlisle's right. That's why they are created. A newborn army doesn't need thousands like a human army. And no human army could stand against them." Jasper explained. "The two most important things to remember are, first; Never let them get their arms around you. They'll crush you instantly. The second, Never go for the obvious kill. They'll be expecting that. And you will lose." He said the last part slowly, a few of the wolves growling in response.

Jasper then signaled for his brother to began training. The two standing in a clear area and standing face to face,

"Emmett? Don't hold back." Jasper teased with a smile.

"Not in my nature." Emmett replied with a smirk.

Emmett charges Jasper with impossible speed, but Jasper is a virtual blur. Emmett lunges several times, his strong arms grabbing at air. Jasper stops long enough to speak.

"Never lose focus. One more thing; Never turn your back on your enemy."

Emmett lunges again with similar results, until suddenly he freezes. Jasper has him from behind, his teeth an inch from Emmett's throat.

Mason couldn't hold back her impressed smile, there's an impressed rumble among the watching wolves.

Everyone takes turns sparring with Jasper, or pairing off against each other. Alice and Jasper spar, spiraling, twisting. Jasper launches at her but with her eyes glazed over, not looking at him, she sees his moves before he makes them. Out of nowhere, Alice is perched on his back; she kisses his neck.

"Gotcha." She says sweetly before jumping off of his back.

Edward and Carlisle attack one another, but Edward can read Carlisle's mind which gives him the advantage. He twirls beyond Carlisle's grasp, then slams into him delivering a vicious body blow.