five

"When we were five, they asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up. Our answers were things like astronaut, president, or in my case, a princess. When we were ten, they asked again, and we answered, rock star, cowboy, or in my case, a gold medalist. But now that we've grown up, they want a serious answer. Well, how about this... who the hell knows? This isn't the time to make hard and fast decisions, this is the time to make mistakes. Take the wrong train and get stuck somewhere. Fall in love, a lot. Major in philosophy, because there's no way to make a career out of that. Change your mind, and change it again, because nothing is permanent. So, make as many mistakes as you can. That way, someday, when they ask what we wanna be...we won't have to guess. We'll know." Jessica finished her speech.

The gym exploded in laughter, cheers, and claps. Mason looked behind her, seeing Bella and Edward.

"Mason Connors." Many hoot and hollers were heard from the crowd, mostly from the Cullens and Charlie.

She grabbed her diploma and shook hands with the Principal. Looking out into the crowd, she wanted more than anything to see her mom. But instead, she was greeted by Esme and Carlisle's wide smiles and Charlie struggling to take a decent picture. She couldn't have asked for anything better.

●●●

"You made it." Bella welcomed Jessica to the party.

"Hey." Mason hugged the girl

"What'd you think of my speech? Too easy-breezy, too self-helpful? You can admit it." Jessica asked nervously.

"No, you pretty much nailed it." Bella admitted, Mason nodding in agreement.

"Yeah? It's like I was born to lead, right?" Jessica asked, making the girls laugh.

"Oh, great. I love this song, let's go." Jessica grabbed Bella's hand and disappeared into the crowd.

Mason had made her way towards the drink table, pouring herself a glass of punch but dumping it out after the smell of alcohol hit her nose. She turned around to join the party but someone blocked her way.

"What are you doing here?" She asked with a roll of her eyes.

"You invited me, remember?" Jacob spoke slowly.

"Was my right hook too subtle for you?" She crossed her arms and turned her head to the side. "That was me uninviting you."

Look, Mason. I'm sorry about, you know... what i said and Bella's hand. I'd blame it on the whole inner animal thing. But it was really just me being an ass." He watched the brunette raise an eyebrow.

Mason sighed and engulfed him in a hug.

"I'm really sorry." He spoke into her neck. "I love you."

"I love you too." She truthfully said back.

She let go and smiled at Embry and Quil. "Hey kids."

"Don't make us kick your ass." Embry said with a laugh, hugging his Q'wati.

"I brought you something." Jacob said once she finished hugging Quil. "A graduation present. I made it myself." He grabbed a piece of cloth out of his back pocket.

"Oh..." She watched as he pulled out a bracelet. The charm of a wolf catching her eye.

She grabbed it from him and looked at it in awe. "You made this?" Jacob nodded. "It's really pretty."

"Just like you."

Before she could change the subject, a chill ran up her spine. Embry and Quil got goosebumps, sensing her uneasiness.