XI

XI
His POV

"Dude, it's so warm out, I could go swimming."

"You do realize it's fifty-four, right?"

"Yeah? And?" Shawn rolled his eyes at her response as they slipped through the door, Brooklyn now taking off her jacket and wrapping it around her waist.

"If you get hypothermia, it's not my fault."

"Thanks for the reassurance, I knew I could always count on you." She sarcastically replied, hitting in shoulder playfully. He smiled lightly, chuckling softly to himself.

It definitely wasn't swimming weather (in Shawn's opinion), but it was fairly nice. It was getting late in the day, so they decided to take a walk and observe nature.
It also wasn't enough to cause hypothermia, he just wanted to mess around with her.

"What time is it?" Shawn mumbled, both of them pulling out their phone.

"7:21. Why?"

"Ah, shit. I gotta be home at 7:30 because the Jacks wanna have another movie night." He rolled his eyes, laughing and shaking it off.

"Well, I guess we'd better start walking back."

Shawn didn't say anything else, nodded lowly and turned his heels.

They walked in silence, each taking a moment to breathe and relax from conversation. Shawn had a lot to think about anyways.

For example, how would the Jacks react if they knew where he had been this past day? They probably already knew, but he likes to think he can get away with it.

He felt bad not telling Brooklyn his "story", because he already knew so much about her. She was obsessed with anything that was colored maroon, wants a pet to cuddle with so badly, keeps her notebooks from every English class she's ever taken since fourth grade... He could go on and on.

Shawn had told her his parents passed away when he was younger, and how he hasn't seen his sister in years. He mentioned he watches the Food Network probably a little too much, or the fact he might be in love with Ellen DeGeneres.

He decided to clear his mind from that topic, not wanting to feel any more guilt than he already does. He's read the books and heard the stories of partners keeping major secrets from each other, none of which he's read ending well.

Honestly, what was he supposed to do at this point? The number of vampires packs have rapidly decreased since the nineteenth century, since "hunters" have become a thing and want Shawn's kind vanquished.

Sure, according to most humans, vamps liked to kill and suck people dry, but it's often not the case. To lay low like Shawn and the Jacks, they worked with what they had. It's usually previously dead animals to their finding, or if they're lucky, they can take a few packs of human blood from a Red Cross donations truck.

Anyways, if she were to find out by a freak accident, it would scar her. Seeing Shawn go vengeful, on fresh blood, taking it a–

No, stop. That will not happen.

Even if it wasn't an accident like that, he could still slip up somehow. He could say "blood run" instead of "beer run" one day. You never know.

He'll have to tell her eventually. The way he'd admit it, he has no clue. She'd probably laugh at first, thinking he's lying for jokes. It would take a while for her to process.

What would happen from there? They can't just–

Again. You're thinking too much.

He physically shook his head and Brooklyn laughed lightly to herself, probably thinking of what a dork he is.

Shawn focused on the ground, watching his steps and eying each leaf he crushed beneath his shoes.

Suddenly, something didn't seem right. It was like a different scent in the air, something very familiar. He noticed the ground was tinted red in spots and froze.

"Brooklyn," He gasped, keeping his stare to the ground, "you need to run. Now." His breathing shallowed even more, making Brooklyn rush to his side.

"Shawn, what's going on—"

"Brooklyn, run!" He shouted now, his voice becoming horse, making her drastically flinch outwards.

He fell to his knees, feeling his teeth shift as he tried to push them back. He knew his eyes already dilated back to red, so no point on using his energy towards that.

"Stop," He groaned, bending over with his hands on the floor and punched the ground in pain.

"Stop what?"

His head snapped back towards her, giving her a cold stare with his menacing eyes. She took a step back in horror, not finding strength in her legs to get away.

By the time she did, it was over.

Shawn couldn't hold back and didn't stop. There was blood all over his mouth and shirt, dripping from the corners of his lips. He lost the fight, not drinking for almost a week now and he gave in.

What's the coincidence a freshly killed bunny ends up directly in their path?

*****

literally so sorry for that photo omg it's so bad but i made it in less than ten minutes so
lol i'm a piece of shit hi
sucky chapter, i know. i wrote this a while back and my skills have improved further but i don't have time to fix it all.😅
it's been nearly three months. i think? i don't even know. it's no excuse, but i had swim and marching band season starting in august up until a few weeks ago, then i had finals and my gpa is kinda important to me

anyways, hope y'all enjoyed! is anyone reading this anymore? ':) haha, love y'all xx