[Chapter Five] Etre (part two)

Sera was standing back-to-back with Fray. She clutched her Soul Arm tightly as she tried to hear Etre's footsteps. But it was futile. Etre was literally invisible in the darkness. It was as if he wasn't even there.

"What do we do?" Fray said. He was panicking. Sera felt indifferent, yet she didn't panic. The darkness encompassed their surroundings, making it hard for them to see. But they weren't the only one with the disadvantage. She knew that Etre couldn't see them too, because if he did, they should've been dead by now.

"Just ready your Soul Arm." She whispered softly. She could feel her sweat rolling down her face. Her heart was beating fasting than ever. She could feel Etre's soft whispers, gentle yet deadly. The same whispers she heard when she first met him. And she knew that she would face him any time now, the same pale white face, messy black hair, and bright red eyes. He looked like he has the same age as her, but she knew that his real age was way higher.

"Doing it. Does Etre know where we are right now?" He whispered.

"No. Darkness might be his specialty, but there's no way he could see us at this kind of darkness." She sensed her surroundings. She knew that he was getting near as his whispers were getting louder.

"If only there was light." She thought. She knew that her speed would easily outmatch his. She had trained very hard to attain her current agility. Days and nights of endless running had its effects, after all.

But then the surface of cold metal touched her neck. The metal had a chilling sensation, as if it was meant to bring death. It was a weapon made to harvest the souls of the dead. "Ara ara, what do we have here?" Etre said. She knew that he had a large grin plastered over his face. "It looks like we meet again?" He said in a maddening tone.

"Etre." She said with disgust. "You never change, do you?"

He laughed crazily. "Ara? Why would I? I'm already perfect!"

"A perfect failure." She said as she swiped his weapon away from her neck and then pointed her. "Fray. Activate Zaffre. Now!" She shouted. She knew that they stood no chance with their Soul Arms deactivated.

"E-eh?"Frays voice was mixed with confusion and panic.

"Just scream its name for hell's sake! You'll feel it!" She shouted. Etre retreated after she swiped his weapon, but she knew that it wasn't done yet, not when they were still alive.

"Here goes nothing!" She heard the sound of a blade unsheathing. "Zaffre! Lend me your power!" He shouted. His voice sounded that of a lion shouting at his pride.

Suddenly, flames were scattered around the area. The azure flames of the netherworld engulfed the area. It didn't burn them, but the screams of the dead could be heard all over the place.

Sera looked astounded. She never expected the sword to look that much powerful. She underestimated the power of a 2nd generation Soul Arm. She could feel the Soul Arm's intensifying power. It sent chills that went down her skin.

And then there was Etre. He was standing about five miles away from her. He was clutching a black scythe. Its blade was large and curved, as if representing a crescent moon. Its length made it look heavy. It was about eight feet tall. His messy, pitch-black hair covered most of his blood red eyes. His face was pale, almost as pale as Cellina.

"Ah? What do we have here? A demon-made Soul Arm?" He said, as if questioning himself. He bore his sharp fangs as he pointed his scythe at them. "Looks like you came prepared, my dear little Seraphim." He mocked her.

"Don't you dare say my name. It disgusts me." She grimaced.

"Well then. Shall we dance?" Etre said as pointed his scythe at them.