Chapter 8

ERIC

“Vivian’s in the hospital!”

It took me a second before the unbelievable sentence sunk in my mind.

She didn’t look sick earlier, she was perfectly fine and healthy. This just can’t happen all of a sudden.

When I didn’t say anything, Aunt Mia sighs and says, “I’ll pick you up two within 30 minutes.”, before hanging up.

“Katie, get ready now. Hurry. We’re going somewhere.” I told her flatly.

“Where?” she was all bubbly and happy, making me sigh. How can I tell her?

“Mom’s sick.” was all I could say.

“But,”

“Get ready. Now.” I cut off her blabbering, making her jump a little, but at least she obeyed.

---

When I was done with cleaning myself up, I went down the living room and saw Katie playing with a doll on her lap. She was sitting on the couch. I just sat beside her.

“What happened to mommy?” her innocent and clueless eyes looked up to me.

Instead of explaining it to a 7-year old, I just simply said, “I don’t know.” and hugged her then let go.

We waited for more dreadful minutes before I finally hear a honking of a car.

“Let’s go.” I stand up and hold out my hand to Katie, which she took.

I let go of her small hands and locked the door when we were outside and she continued to Aunt Mia’s car.

Aunt Mia got out of the driver’s seat and hugged Katie.

“Hey there, sweet peach.” She smiled at Katie. Though I can see the pain through her eyes.

“What happened to mommy?” Katie innocently asks.

Aunt Mia just looked up at me. I nod and take a hold of Katie’s hand, leading her into the car.

“Why don’t you guys answer me?” Katie huffs when she’s finally seated.

I just kiss her forehead and look outside the window.

Katie brought her doll so she just kept on playing with it.

After the ride which consists of Katie giggling sometimes, nothing else, we finally got to the hospital.

Katie tightens her grip on her doll while she holds my hand as we go inside the bland hospital.

“We’re here to see Mrs. Thomson.” Aunt Mia told the nurse behind the nurse desk.

“She’s still in the emergency room. I’ll tell you when she accept visitors.” She states.