038

—JJK
10:05 AM KST

the doors had opened.

he had feared for this moment. he didn't want it to come...but he couldn't manipulate time. if he could, the first thing he would do would be to go fix his big fuck-up in the past—because if he wasn't being a big dumbass back then, this wouldn't happened—none of it.

jungkook sighed, picking up his phone and slipping it into his pocket. the gasoline made his clothes slightly damp, but he hoped that it would all dry off soon.

he just wanted to stay here—but there was no way that he could even have a possibility of getting out of here alive if he stayed put. it felt more like a chore; maybe it would be better if he died already.

jungkook took a heavy step forward, opening the door wide enough for him to pass through. when he stepped outside, he could feel the difference in the air—it felt slightly more stuffy, yet he preferred this to the room he was put in hours ago.

it was still slightly dark, only a dim light illuminating the area; jungkook had no idea where the source of the light was, but he didn't really care, either. he just wanted to find the damned cure, and he would be on his way. he promised himself that he would be better after all this...and he was willing to make that change.

he looked around, the wood boards creaking under his feet as he took a step. he could feel chills creeping up his spine as he knew that he was breathing in poisonous gas; but he didn't feel that frantic. he just wanted out.

in the hallway was a line of six other doors, and two of them were pushed open—maybe they were already outside. he slowly grabbed the handle on the door to his left, opening in cautiously.

jungkook gasped and nearly choked when a body slumped onto his feet, his glossy eyes looking blankly towards jungkook; even though it was pretty dark inside, there was no doubt about it; the stranger had probably bled out from the wound around his stomach. it was a grotesque sight; he could see the flesh—was that a bone?—under the pool of sticky red. he scrunched up his nose, unfamiliar with the stench of iron.

he closed the stranger's eyes for him, feeling a little pitiful for whatever he had to go through.

jungkook stepped outside, back into the main hallway, vowing never to open another door again. he took cautious steps, cringing a little whenever the wood creaked under him.

his heart nearly flew out of his chest when he heard another set of heavy breathing nearby, which was definitely not his. he turned over, his lips frozen in a silent scream when he turned back.

"put that scalpel down," jungkook whispered frantically, his heart thrashing against his ribcage as he put his hands out in front of him, ready to defend himself. "please. i'm not the one responsible. i'm a police officer, for christ's sake."

"how can you prove it?" the man with the brown hair asked, his voice shaking. jungkook sighed. he was just as scared as him; jungkook swallowed nervously when he saw that the man had a blood-soaked bandage wrapped around his upper thigh. jungkook pulled out his phone from his back jean pocket, before opening up the messages he had received in the previous days.

"look, you're here because of these messages, right?" he asked cautiously, showing the other the screen of his phone. the stranger narrowed his eyes, taking the phone from his hands. after given a few seconds to analyze the messages, his tense shoulders relaxed.

"you're jungkook?" he laughed quietly. "i'm hoseok. nice to meet you. it's nice to find someone here that you can trust for once."

"of course," jungkook gave him a small smile. "so...um, if you don't mind me asking, why are you here?"

hoseok's smile faded away, and he looked down at the ground. "i was drunk one night and i made a mistake. i don't...i don't really want to talk about it."

"oh."

a/n ;
officially been a month
since i published the first
chapter (': thank you for
16K+ READS & 2.7K+ VOTES ♡