twelve; white horse

CHAPTER TWELVE

WHITE HORSE
"I was a dreamer before you went and let me down. Now it's too late for you and your white horse to come around."

"Girls! Mike! Breakfast is ready!"

Arabella rolled her eyes at her dad's shouting, grabbing her bag and going downstairs. She set her bag down on the couch once she had reached the living room and walked into the kitchen, not bothering to greet her parents and grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge. She leaned back on the counter as she took a sip of the water, not really in the mood for pancakes today.

"Honey, aren't you gonna eat?" Ella questioned Arabella as Mike and Aria walked in and sat down, eager to shove the food down their throats.

Arabella shrugged, staring at her mother blankly, "I'm not really in the mood to eat."

"But pancakes are your favorite," her dad smiled, him too enjoying the food. "Are you sure you don't want to sit down and-"

Arabella set the bottle of water down on the counter forcefully, the noise grabbing the attention of everyone in the room, "I already said I wasn't in the mood! Now will you leave me alone and stop trying to shove your terrible food down my throat?"

They all started at Arabella in shock as she stormed out of the kitchen. The brunette grabbed her bag and left the house, slamming the door shut behind her. She'd been like this ever since they moved to Iceland and she had to start all over at a new school with people she didn't know. Normally she'd be fine because Aria was there too. But the two of them had no classes together besides lunch and even then they didn't talk.

Arabella wasn't exactly taking the events of this summer very well. Alison was missing, she was forced to move to a new country, and worst of all, Jason and her had broken up and hadn't been in contact ever since. It had been nearly a month since Alison's disappearance and their move to Iceland, but Arabella still wasn't letting up and didn't allow anyone to try and talk to her about how she was feeling. The last thing she wanted to do was talk about Jason.

It made it even harder for Aria to understand what her sister was going through because she didn't know about Jason. Aria was just left to assume that Arabella was acting up for no particular reason other than them having to move away from Rosewood. Mike wasn't aware of the situation either, and he could feel his bond with Arabella fading away, if it wasn't completely broken already. the sight truly was heartbreaking.

Arabella had been halfway out the door when she realized that she still had to go to school today. So she got in her car and drove off, not bothering to wait for her sister. The brunette was not in the mood to talk to anyone right now, and she much preferred to not attend school at all, but that wasn't an option seeing as she had already missed over 6 days and if she skipped one more time, she'd get detention. That wouldn't have bothered her if the teachers at her school weren't so annoying and snobby, constantly searching for a problem. But Arabella shoved those thoughts away, instead mentally preparing herself for the miserable day she had ahead of her.

-----

The school day had come to a close about an hour ago, but instead of heading home like everyone else, Arabella opted to walk to a deserted park near the school and sit on one of the benches by herself. She was fiddling with her fingers in her lap, staring down at the ground and consumed by her thoughts. The brunette desperately wanted to know where everything had gone wrong.