Chapter Four

She heard Luka calling out to her, and the man working for him, for the master of the manor. For the Phantom. They called her name, and she even heard footsteps behind her, but that encouraged her only to run faster. She didn't know really where she was going. Only that she wanted to help Melanie. Help Melanie escape the mansion. Escape him.

And find the man she was to marry. Although she was beginning to suspect that man was within the manor. That the man she was to marry was the very man she and Luka had been speaking to.

Of course, there was the age difference to consider, but since they were ghosts, it was possible he had died after she had. She slowed and stopped, catching her breath. She didn't know where she was anymore, how to get out should she need to.

"Who are you?"

Hannah jumped and looked around, but saw no one. "I'm...I'm Hannah. Where are you?"

"I can't come to you. You must come to me, Hannah."

    "Where are you?" Hannah repeated her question.

"In here."

"That's not very specific," Hannah grumbled. "Let me help you. I'll tell you where I am, and you tell me which direction to go."

"Very well. Tell me where you are, Hannah."

"I'm by...I'm by a clock. A clock which apparently can't decide what time it is. The hands keep spinning." She squinted at it. "Wait, what? It goes to thirteen!"

"Oh, the clock! Just go through that doorway there!"

"Erm...which one?" Hannah looked at the two doorways. One has an open door. The other had a door closed. Someone seemed to be pounding on it. Please be the open door, please be the open door, Hannah silently prayed.

"The open door."

Hannah nodded and went through the open doorway into a dark circular room, lit only by the object in its center: a crystal ball which glowed and showed the face of a grinning woman. Hannah cried out upon seeing the crystal ball. The woman inside laughed. "I am Madame Leota," she offered. "Welcome to Phantom Manor, Hannah."

"What the heck!" Hannah practically yelled, seeing the woman in the ball.

"I'm trapped in here," Leota said, sounding tired now. She rolled her eyes. "No, I am not a witch, before you ask. Ghosts, those are real. Witches, on the other hand, that is stretching it. I was put in here against my will I might add. And now, here I am."

"How does that even work?" Hannah said in wonder, approaching the floating crystal ball.

"Magic," Leota deadpanned. "How else?"

Hannah studied her in fear and awe.

"So," Leota said, "what are you doing here?"

Hannah bit her lip. "I heard singing, came here to investigate, was captured by the Phantom, and escaped."

    "Ah," was all Leota said in response. "The singing would have to be Melanie Ravenswood."

    "Yes. I know," Hannah said. "What I don't know is what is going on here. Why is the Phantom doing this? What's going on?"

Leota smiled at her, but it did not reach her eyes. "I cannot tell you."

Hannah rolled her eyes. "Of course."

She smiled wider. "But I can show you."

Hannah studied Leota. "Show me?"

"Yes."

Hannah narrowed her eyes. "How?"

Leota smiled in response. "Watch."

Then the image of Leota's face faded away, showing a young woman. Melanie. She was brushing her hair in her room, singing to herself. The same song as before. Then there was an image of a man. She could not see his face, but his figure, preparing for the wedding. Then a voice. Jake. Then Jake Evans was walking, up the stairs, into an attic. Then Melanie, standing in the ballroom alone. Then an attic again.

Hannah screamed at the next image.

Hanging from the attic rafters, was Jake Evans, and clearly visible from the side, was the Phantom himself, holding the rope and laughing. Then the image again changed to Melanie, crying. Leota's clear voice rang out, sounding almost amused. "A ravishing bride," she said, "and a vanishing groom." And then, suddenly, the earth beneath Hannah shook, and she saw a town crumble. Then she saw the town again, as haunted as the manor itself. Then the Phantom, cackling maniacally.

Then Leota's face returned in the crystal ball. "Do you see now?"

Hannah stared at Leota wide-eyed. "He...killed him."

Leota only smiled in reply.

"He killed him," Hannah repeated, "and now laughs at her! Laughs at her because she..." She gasped. "She doesn't know! She thinks he left."

"She remains ignorant," Leota agreed. "Although he is close by, the two are doomed never to find each other again, unless the Phantom is defeated."

"Well," Hannah said, a new determination setting in. "Fine. How do we defeat him?"