Chapter Nine

NOTE - While I know the photo I selected includes a knight in shining armor, when it comes to the physical appearance of the actor and actress, they look exactly like Melanie and Jake in my story.

    A deafening silence followed those events, before Martha cried out and began to sob, crumpling to the ground. "Henry," she wept.

    Hannah bit her lip, staring down at the locket in her hand. Henry Ravenswood had been sucked into its terrible prison as punishment for freeing the Phantom from it years ago. Now he was trapped along with the Phantom and all of his friends, who must have included Leota. It had taken Hannah a mere moment to realize that Martha's 'accident' with Leota's crystal ball couldn't have killed her. After all, she was a ghost. Instead, it had paralyzed her for a moment, and before she could reassemble, the locket had sucked her in along with everyone else.

    Melanie's eyes were wide in shock as she stared at the space her father had been standing in only a moment before. "Father?" she nearly whispered, and then Hannah saw the tears in her eyes. She turned slowly to look up at Hannah wide-eyed. "Did he truly do this?" she asked softly. "Did he help the Phantom do all of this?"

    Hannah didn't say anything, only looked at her sadly. Luka nodded. "He..." He closed his eyes and swallowed before making eye contact with Melanie once again. "He did," he said. "But he regretted it, and he is one of the reasons Jake is free again."

    Melanie stared at him and nodded slowly. "Oh," she said, her voice breaking. "Oh." She swallowed her tears and closed her eyes. Then she furrowed her brow, and the saddened expression faded into a warm smile. "I can't hear Him," she said softly. "I can't hear Him."

    Melanie gasped and burst into joyful laughter, jubilant. She grabbed Hannah's hands in excitement. "I can't hear Him! He isn't there! He's gone, He's gone, He's gone!" She laughed once again. "He isn't there! He's not whispering things in my head, or confusing me! I can think for myself again! He's gone, He's finally gone!"

    Hannah grinned and squeezed both of Melanie's hands. "He'll never bother you again," Hannah promised, and somehow, she knew it was the truth.

    Melanie smiled warmly and then her expression once again changed. Her eyes grew wide, and she turned her head slowly. Behind her, stood Jake, waiting patiently. He looked nervous, but a small smile tugged at his lips.

    Melanie stared at him, unmoving. "Jake?" she asked in a soft voice.

    He smiled finally, unable to hold it back. "Melanie."

    She burst into joyful laughter once again. "Jake!" She broke into a run, hiking up her wedding gown and throwing her arms around his neck, hugging him tightly. He held her as well, and both were laughing and crying. "I never gave up looking for you," she said, her voice breaking as she cried. She pulled away and looked up at him tearfully. "I knew you would come back. I just knew it."

    "I would never leave you behind," he promised. "I'm so sorry."

    "Don't be," she said gently. "None of this was your fault. It was Him. It was all Him."

    "It was terrible, Melanie," he said sadly. "Being so close to you, trapped in that...that THING, hearing you singing and searching but knowing you wouldn't hear me if I called out to you." He gently cupped her cheek in one hand. "But we're together now, and we will always be."

    "Forever," Melanie whispered.

    He smiled softly and then kissed her once, soft and sweet, and then pulled back, smiling down at her.

    Hannah and Luka grinned at each other.

    Melanie turned away from her love at last and to Hannah and Luka. "Oh," she said, sniffling, and ran back to them. She hugged Luka. "Thank you both so much." Then she turned to Hannah and wiped her eyes, smiling. "You are truly wonderful friends. I wish you both the greatest happiness." She smiled happily and threw her arms around Hannah. "I love you both dearly."

    Hannah smiled and hugged her back. "I'll miss you," she said quietly.

    Melanie pulled back. "I shall miss you both so much," she said. "But I know you shall live truly wonderful lives, and you shall never forget me. You have restored my home, and now you have given me the chance to rest in peace." She smiled tearfully. "We shall see each other again, someday," she promised. "When the time comes, I shall come for you."

    Hannah nodded, without words. Melanie smiled one last time and then turned to her mother, who was smiling softly, wiping her eyes. "Come, Mother, dear," she said gently, picking her mother up from the ground. "Come to heaven with us."

    She took Martha's hand in her own, and Jake's in her other. And then that voice filled the air once more, that song that had brought them here. Melanie began to sing, but instead of a sad song, it finally sounded content. She turned back one last time and smiled at Hannah. Then a bright light engulfed the threesome, and they were gone.