Chapter Eight

Hannah and Luka followed their friends cautiously through the dark halls of the Phantom Manor. They were an odd group, Hannah thought. Two living teenage friends. A ghostly bride. The traitor father of the bride. The mother of the bride, looking frightful as she clutched in her hand a dagger. A woman trapped in a floating crystal ball. All of them, against the Phantom and his demonic friends who had long since been invited to the manor.

    Hannah's heart pounded in her chest as they approached the ballroom. They were so close now. So close to ending it all, stopping the Phantom. She closed her eyes and tried to catch her breath, to stop worrying. This was their destiny after all. It was a prophecy.

    Luka put a hand on her shoulder. "It'll be okay, Hannah," he said in a soft voice.

    "How do you know that?" she asked.

    "I don't," he admitted.

    "I didn't mean to get involved in any of this," she said quietly. "I just wanted to find out what the singing was! I thought it would be that someone left a radio on, or something! Not an entire haunted mansion!"

    "Not to rub it in," Luka said, "but I did try to warn you."

    "I know, I know." She sighed. "The only remotely good thing that has happened here today is that no one has mistaken us for a couple yet."

    He shuddered. "Never bring that up again."

    "It's not like I like the idea, Luka, but you know it's what most people think when they see a boy and a girl our age together as often as we are." She gritted her teeth. "Sorry, I chatter when I'm nervous."

    "It's fine," he said. They continued in silence until they at last reached the ballroom, where she could see the Phantom sitting. Her stomach dropped. Luka squeezed her hand for reassurance and then stepped back to go according to plan.

    Melanie approached Hannah and handed her the locket. "Thank you so much for everything, Hannah," she whispered. "I shall go and do my part now. I shall sing again."

    She closed her eyes and began to sing again. From her hiding spot Hannah saw the Phantom stiffen and then begin to laugh. Melanie stepped into the ballroom, walking with a dreamy look. She was a surprisingly good actress. "Hello, sir," she said in a shaky voice, catching her breath from the singing.

    The Phantom didn't turn. "Hello, Melanie."

    Melanie cautiously went to the other side of the room, singing to herself, and stopped in front of the Phantom. "Do you know where I might find Jake?" she asked in her soft voice. "I do miss him so. I wonder why he has not come yet."

    The Phantom burst into laughter. Cruel, maniacal laughter. "Oh. Dear, have you not found him yet?"

   Melanie shook her head. "I am afraid not." Hannah turned to Luka and he gave her a nod. Then they stepped out carefully. Hannah tucked the locket into her pocket as they crept forward.

    Melanie saw them and hid a smile. "Shall I sing louder for him, sir?" she asked. "Have you found him yet?"

    The Phantom merely shook his head with a smile. "I have not."

    Now Henry, too, stepped out, and Martha stepped out beside him, holding Leota in her arms. Martha hurriedly raced after Melanie. "Melanie, dear!" she called out as soon as she was within the Phantom's view. "Oh, sir, I am very sorry she is bothering you."

    The Phantom burst out laughing. "Bothering me? On the contrary, she is fantastic amusement. Keep her here if you like. I'll take care of her." He frowned. "What are you doing with the prophetess?"