Chapter Six

"I don't like this idea, Hannah," said Luka.

"Sorry," said Hannah. "It's our only option. You're sure this is the way, Martha?"

"Of course I am. I've lived here most of my life, and all of my afterlife."

"Right," said Luka. "So what, we just go up and ask?"

"Yep," Hannah said, fighting to hide her own nervousness. "And be prepared to run if necessary."

"You are not boosting my confidence, Hannah," said Luka.

"Okay," Hannah said, trying to sound reassuring. "Just relax."

"How?"

Hannah didn't reply. "Come on."

    Together they emerged from the hall into the ballroom they had been brought to earlier. It was mostly empty, still, except for the caped figure sitting in the chair, with his back to them.

    Hannah turned to look at Luka, who looked at her fearfully. Hannah gave a small smile and then turned back to the Phantom.

    "So," said the Phantom before Hannah could speak, "you have returned."

    Hannah looked at Luka before turning back to the Phantom. "We've come to ask you a question."

    The Phantom burst out laughing and turned around, revealing his horrible face. "I don't answer children's questions."

    "You'll answer this one," Hannah said defiantly.

    "Oh, will I?" The Phantom sounded amused. "I'm afraid you are mistaken. One of my friends will escort you out. If you resist again, you shall be killed. Do you understand?"

    "Why did you kill Jake Evans?" Hannah demanded.

    The Phantom stiffened. "What?"

    "Why," Luka said slowly, "did you kill Jake Evans?"

    The Phantom paused. Then his cold expression faded into a cruel and terrible smile. He leaned forward, and the two teens instinctively leaned back away from him. "Why NOT?" the Phantom spat.

    Hannah narrowed her eyes at him.  "Because," she said, "he and Melanie deserved far better. And if I can't defeat you, I want to at least know why you did what you did?"

    The Phantom stared at her for a moment. "Your name is Hannah, is it not?"

    Hannah studied him. "Yes. Why?"

    The Phantom's expression changed. "I was right," he whispered. "It is you."

    "Excuse me?" Hannah snapped.

    "No matter," the Phantom said coolly. "Killing you both should be...well, in a word, EASY."

    "Run," said Hannah.

    The Phantom leapt forward with surprising speed, grabbing Hannah and twisting one arm behind her. Hannah screamed. Luka raced forward to help her.

    Then another figure knocked the Phantom to the floor. Hannah felt herself being picked up. Her rescuer ran for some time, and then, at last, set her and Luka down. Hannah caught her breath and looked up at the familiar face of the man. The man who they had met at the painting, who had warned them to leave many times.

    The man who loved Melanie. The man who, despite the odd age difference, Hannah knew had to be Jake Evans.

    "You again!" Luka sputtered.

    "Good to see you again, too," the man said.

    "You saved us," Hannah said breathlessly.

    The man nodded. "Come. We must get you out of here."

    "No! Wait!" Hannah grabbed the man's arm, ignoring the cold shivers his touch sent through her body. "You have to go to Melanie. You may be able to help her."

    "She won't want to see me," he insisted. "After everything..."

    "What was all of that about?" Luka asked. "As soon as we said our names..."

    "What happened?" asked Leota. Hannah looked around, recognizing the room as Leota's home. She floated closer. "I asked a question."

    "The Phantom tried to kill us," Hannah explained.

    "Hardly surprising," Leota sniffed.

    "He was upset as soon as we said our names last time," Luka said thoughtfully to Hannah.

    "Hardly surprising," Leota repeated, "considering the prophecy."

    "Prophecy?" Hannah narrowed her eyes. "What prophecy?"

    Leota closed her eyes, and the crystal ball began to glow. Though her lips did not move, her voice came clearly. "Your murderous deed shall soon be your doom, for the ravishing bride and the vanishing groom."

    Another voice. The Phantom's. "What do you mean?"

    Leota again. "The Chosen Hour soon shall be upon us, and with it the Chosen Ones. Beware the fearless Hannah and loyal Luka, for they shall destroy you."

    Then the crystal ball stopped glowing, leaving Hannah and Luka wide-eyed. "That's why..." Hannah covered her mouth. "We're the Chosen Ones."

    "We have to defeat the Phantom," Luka breathed.

    "Oh, my," said the man.

    "I still don't understand," Hannah said. "Why is he doing this? Why did he kill Jake? Unless-" She gasped.

    "What?" Luka asked. "Unless what?"

    "Unless the Phantom is Henry," Hannah realized. "Henry Ravenswood."

    Luka's eyes widened. "Of course! He hated Jake, because Jake wanted to take Melanie away-"

    "But he and Martha were killed in an earthquake!" cried Hannah. "And Martha couldn't find Henry after because he was the Phantom!"

    "And so he killed Jake and trapped Melanie so she couldn't leave Thunder Mesa!" Luka exclaimed.

    "That's terrible," Hannah gasped.

    "It's not true."

    Hannah and Luka turned to look at the man, who pursed his lips. "The Phantom is not Henry Ravenswood," he said. "I am."