Chapter 11- Runaway

Runaway- by the Yeah yeah yeahs

This song makes so much sense for the story but its a good turning point in the story. It makes sense for my beautiful Dahlia. 

NOT EDITED

****

Silence greeted me as Slayder and I settled into his beautiful luxury car. Sleek, black leather slightly cold against my barely clad body had me wrapping my arms around myself. I refused to look over at him, so I just stared out into the downtown city lights that seemed to brighen up the back lot that Slayder parked at. A sigh came from the driver side but I still refused to look, feeling a heavy burden settle on my chest.

"Dahlia" Slayder sighed, almost sadly, had me stiffen. How in the world did he even know my name? I couldn't bring myself to answer him, to even comfirm to him that I was, in fact, Dahlia. 

"Or do you prefer Jane?" He asked me. I finally look over at him to see that he had taken his mask off and all I got was eyeful of his handsome features and concerned gaze. 

"I don't prefer anything." I whispered quickly looking away again finally wondering why in the world was I even here. Why hadn't I stayed inside, I didn't want to be saved, Adam had already saved me. Or so I thought but what if something, somewhere inside me couldn't handle the pain anymore? I shook my thoughts away. Another sigh sounded around me but Slayder said nothing more and just started the car, pulling out onto the busy boulvard. 

I looked out the rear window when we drove further away from the club only to see Adam's figure standing outside of it. I looked for as long as possible but I couldn't make out his expression only  A chill ran up my spine and I turned quickly back around to stare back out the passenger window. My thoughts were a jumbled mess. My heart heavy. Should I tell him to turn around that I don't want to be here anymore, that I made a mistake. He continued to drive and my will continued to crumble. It was clear to me that I couldn't do anything. That deep down inside of me I couldn't say anything. 

And I didn't say anything. I stayed silent as Slayder wound his way through downtown, ironically past the very building that I had escaped from, towards the other side of the city. My heart clenched when I thought of Laurence being up there possibly with the girl that I had caught him with or worse with a slew of woman since I've been gone. I tried not to react to the thought but my iron clad facade seemed to break away from me and a sob rang out through the silent interior of the car. 

"Dahlia?" Slayder called to me but I didn't answer, couldn't answer, with the giant knot in my throat. He said nothing more and continued to drive through suburbian streets where the houses became ritzier and the land became gated. I can't even really tell you how long he was driving for before we reached the end of a cul-da-sac with a large gate and brink walls. The good doctor reached up into his visor to press a button and the iron gates opened up to a stone driveway and what seemed to an immaculately kept lawn but with the moon nowhere in sight it was hard to tell if my assumption was true. 

He zoomed down the drive and I couldn't quite keep the look of wonder off my face when I saw the house he was leading me to. It was breathtaking and maybe I did find myself gasping at the view. Though if Slayder heard anything he didn't comment and I enjoyed the view in another stretch of silence. I admired the stone walls of what could only be discribed as a castle. Windows littered the walls and towers seemed to stretch up into the night sky as if the pointed roofs were punturing the clouds. The only light I saw illuminate the outside came frome a door that looked slightly ajar. Still I couldn't tear my eyes away from the scene in front of me, the beauty of the grey stone marred only by the kudzu vines growing thick on the exterior walls. Or maybe the kudzu added a haunting look that made the property look, if possible, more beautiful than if it had been clean of it.