Summer Days

Time moved as the weather went with it too. It was the summer before your second year of high school, yet there was only two things on your mind that day. The blazing hot sun and the fresh cold river in front of you. Ben was talking about something but your mind couldn't focus, as much as you tried. But your eyes just kept looking to the water.

You felt as if your body was slowly being melted by the sun. So it was good thing you put sunscreen before coming. Although you still had the same question in your mind so you just randomly brought it up.

"Um Ben can we-uh go swim in the river..." Though it was a simple question it took a lot out of you just to say it. Ben gave you a shocked look but it then softened as he looked away.

"...I'm not so sure of that (Y/n)"

"Oh no it's fine I shouldn't force you to do something you don't like." Yet there was something that was still bothering you but you didn't know if it was okay to ask. Although it's as if your mouth moved on it's own you did anyway.

"Ben how come your always by the
river?" you asked muttering out.

It was a bit quiet for some time. The air felt heavy and the atmosphere felt uneasy. Your mind tried to think of anything to say, to break the tension. Yet no matter what you thought of it somehow wouldn't feel right so you hugged him trying to comfort him. "I'm sorry to have asked you a personal question Ben."

It was still a bit quiet after you pulled away but it felt more calming. The both of you were just sitting down for sometime before you got up to stretch your legs. Ben was still in deep thinking before he noticed you get up and did so as while.

He face was really red, as he hurriedly got up. "(Y-Y/n) I really li-" Ben mumbled out before he cut himself off.

"Hmm, Sorry Ben I didn't hear you can you say it again?" you say apologetically.

It took him a moment to answer. "It was," he said slowly "nothing important."

You look up at him to see his cheeks, red you thought it might have been from the sun so you put the back of your hand on his cheek.

"Ben we shouldn't be out here in the sun too long your burning up."

"We could go sit under that tree" he asks.

You look over to the tree then the river before turning back to him. "I have a better idea!"

You beamed with delight, grabbed both of his hands and headed towards the river. You jumped in as Ben kinda just fell in. Your hand let go of his as you rose up from the water. You pushed your hair out your face and look over to where Ben was. He had a grumpy look on his face but laughed while splashing you with water. You splashed back as this continued for a while.

The both of you each got out of the river drenched from water. You gazed over to Ben to see him smiling softly, which brought a smile to your face too. So as the sun sets on another day the both of you sit in the same spots as always. You pull your legs closer to your chest while your eyes watch the sunset. Your eyes lazily close taking in everything you did today but open again when you hear Ben.

"Hey I know this is kinda a weird question but," he gently says " can you promise not to forget about me." He didn't elaborate any further about what it meant or what he felt, like he was holding something back.

"Of course I won't forget you, we'll always be together" you said happily.

"I guess your right... " he mumbled out softly.