fourteen

I can barely believe my eyes. Is it really him?

"Bucky?"

"Yeah, it's me doll."

I try to lift myself up from the filthy ground but fail miserably. He rushes to my aid and gently lifts me to my feet. As soon as I am up, I fling my arms around him and bury my face into his neck, tears slipping down my face.

"It's alright, it's alright you're safe now."

The sound of his voice calms me down completely and I sigh.

"I can't believe you're here," I manage to get out.

"You didn't think I would just let you go did you?"

"Of course not, but how on earth did you find me?"

He smiles, "Let's just say I know a guy who knows a guy."

I smile back as I revisit the night I met him. The was one of the first things he said to me.

Suddenly, he grips my shoulders, "Quinn, I need to know, what did they do to you? Because I swear if any one of them so much as touched a hair on your head, I will rip them apart limb from limb."

I am taken aback at his words.

"Buck-"

"Quinn, please just tell me. Did they hurt you?"

"....yes," I squeak.

I can see the rage brimming on his features, but I can't let him keep his word.

I put a hand to his chest and say, "Bucky, no, don't."

"I have to, Quinn."

I take his hands in mine, "No, you don't. You don't need to, please, let's just go home."

His eyes shut, and I know he wants more than anything to tear apart Zemo, but I can't let him.

My hand reaches up and cups his cheek, "Please."

His eyes open. He nods.

As we walk out of the prison cell, my weak legs buckle underneath me and I stumble.

Bucky catches me, my body a feather in his strong arms.

With a weak voice I say, "Just go, get out of here, leave me."

He shakes his head firmly, "No, we came here to get you back. I will not let you die and leaving you here is out of the question. Quinn, look at me, please. I lost you once, and I will never lose you again."

That gives me the strength I need to keep going. He helps me up once more and we slowly make our way through the dimly lit hallways.

Just as we round a sharp turn, we run smack into Helmut Zemo himself.