seventeen

I slide on my black pumps and take another look at myself in the mirror.

Good enough

I walk over to the door of my room. Swinging it open I strut out into the hallway towards the elevator.

Tony is hosting one of his famous Stark Tower parties and I am to be a guest. A lot of people are invited, though most are just coming to say that they attended one of Tony Starks famous parties. I also heard that the Avengers are coming. I've only met Bruce Banner before because of him helping Tony with a few things, and obviously I know Steve.

The elevator doors slide open and I walk in as gracefully as I can. 3 inch heels are not for ungraceful girls.

"Good evening Miss James," a pleasant bodiless voice sounds.

"Oh hello J.A.R.V.I.S. Top floor please," I say.

I get no response but I feel the elevator move slightly as it raises me to the top floor.

The doors open and I am immediately hit with the aroma of alcohol and strong cologne. I scan the room and find Tony and Steve standing and talking with a group of people who I assume are the Avengers. I gulp and slowly make my way through the many bodies filling the room.

When Tony sees me he waves and yells, "Quinn! Nice of you to join us! I missed you!"

I roll my eyes at his intoxicated slur and smile back at him, standing between him and Steve.

I look around at the people surrounding me. A sulking brown haired man, talking to a woman with blazing red hair. An extremely tall and hulking man that must be Thor, another woman in a short skirt and red jacket talking to Bruce. Sam is standing next to Steve talking animatedly to a man with red leathery skin. Next to Tony stands a tall man with brown skin dressed sharply.

Tony clears his throat and everyone looks at him. He gestures to me and I blush.

"Everyone, this is Quinn, my personal assistant who just recently was rescued from . . . who was it again?"

I blush and shuffle my hands together.

The red haired woman speaks first, "It's nice to meet you, Quinn, I'm Natasha," she says with a kind smile. I smile back and shake her hand.

The others smile politely and mumble "nice to meet you's."

Suddenly I feel my hand being gripped and shaken roughly, causing my entire body to shake at the movement.

"ITS NICE TO MEET YOU LADY QUINN!"

The sound of Thor's booming voice fills my ears and I flinch.

"I-It's nice to m-meet you too-"

"I AM THOR, SON OF ODIN, LADY QUINN."

The others start to laugh and he is still shaking my hand roughly when I see a familiar face in the crowd.

"It's lovely to meet you Thor, I umm, would you excuse me a moment?"

"OF COURSE LADY QUINN."

I peel my fingers from his steel grip and make my way over to that all too familiar face.

"Bucky!"

He sees me coming over and smiles.

When I reach him I give him a small hug. He continues to smile when we release and says, "You look stunning."

I blush.

"Thank you, and you. I mean you don't look stunning, you look handsome," I say.

Chuckles overtake him and I start to laugh too.

"Do you want to go outside, on the balcony?" I ask.

He nods and takes my hand, leading me outside to the balcony. I breathe in the fresh air and sigh.

"It's nice up here," I say, walking out to the edge and putting my hands up on the rail.

Bucky stands beside me. "I agree," he says.

We stand in peaceful silence for a few minutes before Bucky speaks up.

"You know, ever since the day we rescued you, every night, I've heard you. Your nightmares."

I stay quiet.

He speaks the truth. On the night I got rescued, I had terrible nightmares and have had them ever since.

"You know, I'm always, always here for you, you know that?" He says.

"Of course."

"Because I know, I know what you are going through and what you will go through in the future. You've helped me on my darkest days and are still helping me in ways you could never imagine."

I send a smile to him, truly grateful.

"Thank you Buck."

He pulls me in for a hug and I lean into him, resting my chin on his shoulder.

I know I will have the invisible demons for years to come, but with Bucky by my side, I know we will beat them.