Seventeen

The light that Spencer had seen in Persephone’s eyes last night when Lila had left had given him hope.

Hope that he was going to be able to talk her out of killing herself without having to take drastic measures. Hope that she was going to be able to get her life back on track and live the life she wanted to live rather than the life she felt she was expected to lead.

When she hugged him and thanked him, calling him her guardian angel he’d felt a sense of accomplishment. Seph could do this, she just needed a push in the right direction and hopefully Lila’s involvement would help with that.

He’d be surprised when Lila had said she’d want to invest, but pleased. He’d know Lila for nine years now, had watched as she’d gone from a small cable TV show to the leading lady she was now. Her name being behind the brand, her promotion, would do what Seph was so loathe to use her own surname to do. Give the brand worth, and value.

After Lila had left the pair had gone out for a quick bite to eat and then had a drink in the hotel bar, talking before bed.

“I still can’t believe you had a thing with Lila Archer and that she’s going to help me. You’re amazing! You must have been very good at that thing for her to want to do a favour for you.”

“Erm… Thanks…. I think. It’s not a favour though, she genuinely likes them. Just remember what she said though, there’s no guarantee it will mean success.”

“I know I know. But if she wears my clothes to an event and names them, it will mean the brand has been in the press. Recognition in it’s own right. So my parents can take that, and suck it. Speaking of my family….. I need to ask you something.”

“Okay.” He drained the last of his drink and signalled to the waiter to bring two more.

“My family are throwing me a party. They do it every year but I know this year they’ll be planning a huge speech to welcome me back to the business. Will you come with me?” She played with her hair, wrapping it around her finger nervously.

“I’ll come with you, sure. Are you planning on telling them that you’re not going back to the company?”

“Yes. But not yet. I need to wait and see how this thing with Lila pans out. I’m not going back though. One way or another.”

“One way or another. The other way still being….. ”

“Don’t ask a question you know you won’t like the answer to Spencer. It’s a question I don’t know the answer to myself. But keep doing what you’re doing. Please. Having you in my life is giving me hope.”

“I’m giving you hope?” The waiter set two new drinks down in front of them.

“Yes. You’re giving me hope. You care, and you listen to me. You remind me of Alex in a lot of ways you know. You’d have liked her.” She looked sad for a moment before smiling at him, something he was seeing more and more of.

“I’m sure you’re right, Seph,” he smiled back at her and they finished their drinks before heading back to their rooms.

The next day Seph was hard at work altering the clothes for Lila, and Spencer was messaging Penelope back and forth seeing how the website was coming along.

Very nicely it seemed. Penelope and Helen had been working hard on the website, skyping with each other when Penny finished at the office. Spencer had spoken with Helen too, unbeknownst to Seph.

The girl was enthusiastic about this but had been confused as to why Spencer was helping Seph and how he knew her. He gave the old friends story that he’d fed to the rest of his team and she seemed to buy it. She was sweet and had said she missed Seph, Spencer assuring her that she’d be back in New York soon. Hoping that she’d be back there to stay.

By the time Lila had come back, the dresses had been altered and when she tried them back on, they’d fit perfectly.

Lila had written Seph a cheque for the two amounts she’d suggested last night, Seph refusing to take it initially.

“Take it. And cash it! I’ll check and if the money hasn’t gone, I’ll set Spencer on you.” The girls had laughed and hugged, Lila telling her that her lawyer would be in touch and that she definitely did want to invest.

Reminding them of the date of the awards ceremony she left, hugging Spencer goodbye and telling him not to leave it so long between messages next time.

“So… Persephone Bella-Morte. How does it feel to have your first big sale? And a Hollywood actress interested in investing in your line.” He asked her, his face aching from the wide grin.

“It feels fucking amazing Spencer Reid. And this is all down to you. How can I thanks you?”

“You know how. By still being here in ten years time.”

Her face dropped at his comment.

“Spencer…… I’m elated by this, I really am. And it looks very positive. But let’s not count our chickens… Well, my chickens. Plus, there’s still list stuff to tick off. You promised you helped me achieve as many as we could. I want adventure in the great wide somewhere, remember…. ”

“And we will. Speaking of your list, be ready tomorrow at 8am. We have somewhere to be.”

“But our flight back to DC is tomorrow?”

“Its an overnight flight again… And don’t worry, I called the airline and changed us to first class. What I’ve got planned will only take a few hours.”

“Ah okay….. So it’s not the fucking.”

He laughed. “No ….I still haven’t worked that one out.”

“Trying to deny your feelings for me Dr Reid?” Seph flirted, batting her eyelashes.

“Me? Never. You’ve got me sussed……Now, let’s go and celebrate your first big sale.” He proffered his elbow to her and she took it.

“Yes, let’s indeed.”