Nineteen

As Spencer climbed out of the little boat his legs shook slightly, he couldn’t believe he’d done it.

Nor could he believe how exhilarating it had felt, leaping from that height. Feeling the rush of the air through his hair, the feeling of weightlessness in the five seconds of freefall before his ankles were caught and he’d bounced. He took risks in his professional life but never in his personal one. Not that bungee jumping was a huge risk, but still.

Seph ran towards him grinning like an idiot and jumped, throwing her arms around his neck and her legs around his waist squealing.

“We did it! We did it!”

In his surprise he stumbled backwards, his ass hitting the wooden deck hard as Seph fell on top of him, a confused look upon her face as she found herself on the ground.

They both turned to the small group of people who were watching them, now clapping at their little show.

Persephone starting laughing first, rolling off Spencer’s hips and standing up holding her hand out to him.

He took it and hauled himself upright, brushing his jeans off.

“Sorry sorry sorry! I was just a bit over excited there… We did it!”

“We did. I can’t believe we both did it. None of my work colleagues would ever believe me.”

“Nor would any of my family. Alex would have probably laughed at me too and demanded to see proof.” Her eyes flickered, sadness crossing over them her quickly blinking it away.

“Thank you….. Again. I’m saying that so much to you recently.”

“You’re very welcome. It actually felt really good to do this for myself as well. I rarely take risks.” Spencer told her.

“Surely you risk your life most days?” she wrinkled up her nose.

“For my job yes, but in my personal life. Hardly ever. The pay off has never seemed great enough to make it worth it.”

“Hmmmm.” She looked thoughtful for a second, like she wanted to say something else to him but decided against it.

“What now?”

“Back to the hotel, pack up and get some food. Then to the airport.”

“We don’t have to be at the airport for hours yet… And we have a late check out right? Can we just…. sit here and watch people jump for a bit?”

“Of course. Let’s get a drink first. I feel like I need some glucose inside me.”

And so they sat together for the next two hours, huddled close side by side on a bench watching as people took their own leaps off the bridge.

Some were adrenaline junkies, flinging themselves off the second the jump master stepped back. Others were more cautious, taking a few moments, some even minutes before they tentatively stepped off.

Each time the boat docked though, bringing them back to shore, the looks on their faces was always sheer joy.

Not necessarily joy because of the sensation that jumping had caused, but the joy at doing something that a lot of them wouldn’t normally do. Maybe some had waited for years to do this, having it on a list similar to Seph’s. Each person had look of accomplishment about them, the satisfaction of setting out to do something and actually achieving it.

Spencer wished he’d jumped first so he could have seen that look on Seph’s face as she’d climbed out of the boat but he’d wanted to be at the top in case she backed out and decided she couldn’t do it. Still, hopefully he’d see the look of accomplishment on her thirtieth birthday when she told her family she wasn’t going back to Lux.

And hopefully it wouldn’t be because she was heading off to find another bridge.

The unlikely pairing returned to the hotel a few hours later and packed their belongings up before heading out for some food and then finally to the airport for the trip home. Well to their rented apartment.

Spender thought how weird it would feel when he actually had to go back to his own apartment and not have a constant companion by his side.

In the week and a half he’d known Seph he’d quickly got used to her being there, which was odd because he didn’t make new friends that easily. But Seph had quickly accepted him along with his quirks just as he had accepted her. He wondered that maybe if his plan with Lila didn’t take off, that he’d maybe be able to convince her to move in with him, as friends of course. She’d said that her parents would cut her off financially if she shunned Lux again. He could put her up, probably get her a desk job at HQ until she could get back on her feet. Although, he’d definitely have to invest in a sofa bed. He was NOT sleeping on his couch for that long. But it was something to think about. Another option. One he’d keep to himself for now.

The plane ride home was a lot less painful than the journey out. They settled in first class again for their overnight flight, Persephone asking for a pillow and blanket almost straight away, suddenly looking incredibly drained. She made herself comfortable and closed her eyes, not opening them until the plane started its descent back into DC.

Once her initial elation had worn off this morning she’d been quiet. Almost too quiet. She was thinking about things and although Spencer didn’t know what exactly, he got the feeling that it wasn’t happy thoughts she was consorting with in her mind.

When they finally returned to the apartment in the early hours of the morning, he reached out and touched her wrist, stopping her as she started to walk almost straight to her bedroom.

“Are you okay?”

She blinked a few times, before focusing her eyes on his as if he’d woken her up from some dream.

“Erm yeah. Sorry. The excitement of the last few days must have just taken it out of me. You know, I’ve spent the last few months since….. Well the last few months, not really doing much. I just feel incredibly tired that’s all. A good sleep in a proper bed will do me good. We’ll talk later okay. Maybe play some more chess.”

“Okay, as long as you’re okay Persephone.”

“I’m okay. Just incredibly tired. Thank you again.” She hugged him, tighter than she had done up until now and then walked across to her room, not looking back.

He watched her go, accepting her explanation that she was exhausted, but knowing that there was more to it.

The fire in her eyes had gone and she again looked like she had the night he’d found her on the bridge.

Defeated.

And that worried him.