Chapter 3 ~ RENA

The face kept grinning then continued climbing towards the head of the plane.

Rena felt a shiver slither down her spine. She had never saw such animosity, such... creepiness. Granted, she had also never seen anyone spider-walking on the side of the plane.

Numbly, Rena felt herself being pulled away into the corner to retrieve the evacuation pod. Jimmy grunted as he monkey-swung the railings on the ceiling to the unknown woman, who continued gesturing to them impatiently. The glistening gleam of the bubble began to inflate and swallow the woman and other survivors.

Rena smiled. How like Sid for him to be prepared for anything—

"Sid!" Rena gasped out. "We can't leave him!"

Hauling the crying girl in her arms into Jimmy's, Rena let go and fell back into the chaos.

"Get back here!" Jimmy yelled, his eyes furrowed together in anger, either from her leaving or from giving him a wailing kid, Rena wasn't sure.

"I've gotta save Sid!" She yelled back as she hopped from one table to the next, gripping the railings on the windows and on the ceiling. As the plane tumbled back and forth, Rena felt like a professional model walking on the windows and on the walls.

"Rena!" Nina yelled out, but the wind blew into a cracked hole and snatched her words away, sucking shards of glass and porcelain out to the sky.

Her hair cascading down, Rena's neck stretched as she climbed and kicked the door to the control room. The golden door cracked into splinters and quickly got sucked into a gaping hole nearby.

Without her following suit to her death, Rena pushed herself into the tunnel. Nearly floating with zero gravity, she kept pushing and pushing through the dark pathway. She was never allowed so up front of the Savior, but she figured that Sid or Paul or Lona wouldn't shoo her away this time. She hoped they were safe.

Kicking the walls, Rena shot upward and through a hole with ladder rungs on the sides. "Sid!" She cried out. "Sid!" Her breathing heaved and stuttered. Oxygen levels were running low. Her time was running out.

"Ah!"

The choking gasp nearly stopped Rena's heart as she swerved a right turn and entered the control room. Pinned to the carpeted ground, Sid was turning blue and slightly pink, losing the life in him.

"Run..." Sid coughed out, his pale fingers struggling to tear apart the stable hand crushing his windpipe.

"Get away from him!" Rena kicked off the wall and floated face-to-face with the midnight blue man. "You monster! You evil monster! You destroyed my family. You destroyed my home!"

The lock on Sid's throat loosened and found a new victim.

"Rena!" Sid cried out as he collected air back into his lungs.

Rena couldn't talk, couldn't tell Sid to leave her. Instead, with her last ounce of strength, Rena kicked.

Sid flew, his back hitting the wall. Before gravity could smash him into another wall, Sid aimlessly reached for anything to hold on. A string cord.

Her vision failing, Rena almost missed the look on Sid's face—betrayal, despair, love—before the bubble gently engulfed him and carried him to safety.

"No!" The clench on her neck tightened as the criminal gritted his teeth. "No!"

"Hah," Rena coughed out, saliva and blood clotting in her mouth. "They're all safe now. You'll never get to them."

"No," the young man repeated. "You'll never get to them."

Rena only realized his words until she collided with the ceiling.

Time looped and zipped fast as the Savior plane dipped into the atmosphere and fell.

Twirling.

Flipping.

Shaking.

Crashing.

Rena could barely blink twice before a flash of midnight blue swooped her into a shield and the impact punched her in the forehead and sent her gasping and bleeding on the ceiling of the overturned Savior.

Groggily, painfully, slowly, she opened her eyes to the sight of green eyes. With a blink, the eyes disappeared; and she found herself sitting amidst the wreckage of the Savior.