Chapter 22 ~ MARIOLA

The world faded away, and a wave of pixels encompassed her.

"You have selected YES," a buzzing female voice boomed. "Now for a friendly message from our leader."

The pixels swarmed like bugs then formulated together into a picture, into a familiar, dreaded face.

"Hello," a deep, haunting voice reverberated through her. "I am Eden. Welcome to Level 1. I look forward to seeing your progress here as you make your way through your biological and physiological needs. Everyone here is your friend, not your competitor. We are all aiming for the same goals: to cleanse our human race and to reach our highest potential." His eyes flashed as the pixels pulsed. "As you achieve your tasks, I hope that you will also come to find yourself. Good luck, and I hope to see you soon in Eden."

Mariola felt more confused than from the time she awoke. She was about to blindly swim her way in the darkness to go outside, away from the haunting face, when the robotic voice said, "Please place your right thumb onto the screen to create your profile. You will be needing it when you begin your tasks."

Hesitating, Mariola put her hands behind her back, away from the flashing screen with a scanner for a thumbprint, for her thumbprint, for her allegiance to this strange place.

What would happen if she forfeited now? Where would she go? What was she supposed to do?

Well, what else could she do? Stuck in a basement of a pyramid, underneath a pyramid, Mariola had no where else to go. Trapped inside a black void, on the trunk of a tree, she didn't have any other option as she stuck her thumb onto the flat screen.

"Welcome, Mariola," the voice said like a lover. "Your profile is complete."

A halo of light emerged from the crown of Mariola's dark head. Flinching and squinting, Mariola saw bobbing...words. Her name. Her tasks. Her...progress.

"Level 1," the voice confirmed, degrading Mariola simply into a measly number. "Arrival completed. Survival of the first night completed. Brought to law completed."

As the automaton listed, a glowing checkmark flashed above Mariola's brow. The light pierced through her tired eyes, but she kept them open as her tasks appeared in front of her.

Rows and rows of bold letters and flashing checkmarks and white light—Mariola could only skim at all her challenges ahead. She could only catch snippets of words—warmth, friend, food, love, stability, sex.

Mariola coughed, her cheeks turning into blossom.

"Your profile is completed, contestant number 100010. For any help or further information, please call for me. My name is Via, I am of your assistance. Eden awaits, Mariola."

"Wait—"

She plucked out her arm to ask another question, to clear the mist of confusion in her mind; but the wave of pixels simply split and rounded around her arms, shoulders, and knees like a playful spirit. The pixels hummed and vibrated and pulsed as it flittered around Mariola then perched on the top of her head and burned her brow.

"Ah!"

Mariola squeezed her eyes shut and balled her fists as if she was tightening a chokehold.