Chapter 17 ~ MARIOLA

Mariola stood backstage, shivering—either from the fear spider-walking down her spine or the breeze that swept her bare knees from the short burgundy velvet dress she wore.

She still didn't know what was happening. Samantha ripped through closets to find a dress small enough to fit Mariola's skinny figure, and two tiny figures flittered around Mariola's face to redden her pale cheeks. All the while, they muttered sentences that began with Introduction.

What introduction? Who do I have to be introduced to? Mariola wanted to shriek out, but her throat always got choked up by the cloud of blush or the swipe of lipstick across her mouth or the tut-tut-tutting of Samantha whenever the dress didn't fit Mariola.

Then, after the torture from the three ladies (Mariola would vouch that these three ladies brought more torture to her than the man in the other room), they ushered her up a flight of stairs, through thick curtains, and told her to wait there.

Wait for what? Another torture? Her death? Mariola could hear the sudden eruption of chatter behind the curtains, and she wasn't waiting a second longer.

She tottered in her heels to turn around and feel her way through the curtains—then she felt a hand.

"Eek!" She squeaked out as the hand found her own and then opened the curtains to unveil the owner of the hand.

"...Edie, right?" She stammered, feeling the rush of familiarity again—knowing the traces of his crooked lip and the tiny hairs on his chin and the tuft of black hair across his forehead.

"Ola." He wrapped her in his arms. "You look beautiful."

Mariola melted, her knees wobbly, especially from the stilettos she wore. Safe, comfort, love—she hadn't felt these vibrant colors of feelings for a while, for what felt like eternity. But the hug only lasted a second before Edie whispered in her ear, "Good luck," and shoved her through the curtains.

The curtain drapes embraced her and rolled her around like cotton candy until it spewed her out, stumbling and scared, to the middle of a wide stage in front of a rumbling audience.

The people clapped, politely and passionately. They looked odd—clothes and hair of all shapes and sizes but all with a taint of grey. A man stood up, brandishing his colorful array of polkadots on his collar shirt with a grey tie. A teenager nearby sat sullen, clapping—more like tapping his two index fingers together—and watched her like prey. And then, Mariola locked eyes with Edie, who sat smiling at her and whistling loudly through his white teeth. Before Mariola could observe more of these odd people, a voice spoke. A familiar one.

"Welcome, Mariola," it said. "We at the Garden of Eden welcome you today!" The people cheered, some shouting out her name. "And we hope to see you up here again soon!"

The stage began to descend.

"Wha—what's going on?" She cried out. "What am I supposed to do?"

The people continued to cheer, oblivious to her cried of help; but the voice answered, "Be yourself; find yourself; and strive to be the best!"

Mariola jumped off the stage, but invisible hands held her back. She scanned the crowd to find Edie. He only smiled tautly and mouthed out, Good luck. Her head whipped around to find any escape, but her eyes gazed onto a figure leaning on a cane inside a tall room.

Mariola felt the shudder inside her bones again as the man waved a crooked hand, and then the world disappeared from sight as Mariola continued her way down down down.

Where is she going? What do you think? Feel free to give any comments or any suggestions! I'd be so happy to read them 💖
Thank you all for reading this far 😆 keep reading because the fun is only just beginning (I also want to ask, Do you think this book too slow?)