Chapter One

I sit on the bench with my head down in the intriguing book I'm reading. I reach the bottom of the page and turn it, my eyes going straight to the next word. A large crowd forms further to my right. They all chant in union:

"Eat it! Eat it! Eat it!" I try to keep my mind on the book. "Eat your vegetables, Gordon, come on!" Flash shouts over the crowd. I'm really not interested in what's going on over there, it happens almost every day. "Hey, Parker. Come on, get a picture of this!"

"Put him down man. Don't eat it, don't eat that." The boy tells Gordon.

"Take a picture, Parker."

"Put him down Flash."

"Take a picture." Flash screams angrily.

"Put him down, Eugene!" The crowd stops chanting. I hear a loud thud and the crowd goes 'Ooo'. I lift my head from my book and look over to see Flash beating up Parker.

"Come on! Get up, Parker! Get up! Come on!" Flash kicks him again and again.

"I'm still not taking the picture." He breathes through pain. I hurry over to the scene and push through the crowd.

"Stay down, Parker! Who wants more?" Flash spits. I walk over the injured boy and into the middle of the circle.

"Flash!" I shout to him as he starts to walk away. "Flash, are we on for after school today? My house, 3:30? I hope you've been doing your homework. Last time I was very disappointed in you. Now, Flash, how about we go to class? How about it?"

"Whatever." The bell rings and everyone walks away. I walk after Flash but glance back at the boy, cowering on the ground. He looks at me thankfully, struggling to get up. I walk inside and through the school corridors to my locker. I pull out my science textbooks and lock the door. I keep walking to my next class which is just around the corner. The door is open and most of the class is already in there. I drop the books on my desk and settle into my seat. The boy, who was being beaten up by Flash, walks in and sits diagonally behind me. I turn around to talk to him.

"I thought that was great, what you did out there. It was stupid, but it was great. You should probably go to the nurse, you might have a concussion." He seems oblivious to what I just said. "What's your name?" I ask.

"You don't know my name?" His sweet voice replies.

"No, I know your name. I just want to know if you know your name." I lie.

"Peter," He says, quietly. I wait for him to say his last name. "Parker. Peter Parker."

"Okay." I laugh. I turn back to the front of the room and then back to him. "I'd still go to the nurse, though."

"You're Gwen, right?" He asks.

"Gwen Stacy." I smile back. The teacher walks in and calls for our attention. I can still feel Peter's eyes on me. It is both uncomfortable and sweet.

҉

I push my way through the large spinning doors at the entrance to the Oscorp Tower. I continue to the front desk to sign in. There are still a few badges for the new interns on the desk that need to be collected. A girl walks up next to me.

"Hi. I'm here for the internship with Dr Connors." The small voice implies.

"Of course. Your badge is to the left." Says the reception lady.

"Thank you." The young girl walks around me and picks up the badge reading 'Emily Hartwell'. The name rings a bell. As she starts to walk away, I turn around and stop her.