Chapter Four

"Settle down! Settle down, boys, settle down! Listen! At approximately 9pm last night an incident took place on the Williamsburg Bridge. Much of what occurred is only speculation at this point. However, several eye-witnesses to the crime, as well as our own preliminary findings, positively placed one individual at the scene. Which is why this morning, I'm initialling an arrest warrant for the masked vigilante known as Spiderman." They crowd begins their rouse again as Dad finishes his announcement. I take a big gulp as I hear Dad say that he's going to arrest Spiderman. Peter was not responsible for what happened on the bridge last night. Are there no eye-witnesses saying they say something else or Spiderman helped them?

I finish my breakfast and rinse the bowl in the sink. I grab my bag and books and walk out the door with Mum and my brothers. The boys all squish up in the back seat of the car while I lounge about in the front. Mum drops them off at their schools first before dropping me off at Midtown Science. I wonder if Peter is coming to school today. I hope he does, I have so many questions. When Mum pulls up, I see Peter lounging about on top of the school sign, his leg swinging freely. He sees me and jumps down. I quickly say goodbye to Mum and walk up to Peter, throwing my arms around him.

"I was so worried." I say as I let go of him.

"I know, I know. I'm sorry. I just... had to take care of something." He says, being cautious about what he was saying around other people.

"I'm glad you're safe." I smile. We hold hands as we walk to class.

After school finishes, we stay behind and sit on the bench at the school field, where the football team are practicing, so that we can talk about Spiderman alone. Peter pulls out a tiny vile with no liquid, but there is something in there. I hold it up so that I can see it, it's a spider. A delicate, dead spider.

"It's so beautiful." I say, looking at the poor, innocent creature.

"Knows how to bite, though." Peter says, cringing.

"Who else knows about his?" I ask him, curious to see who's in on the secret.

"Just you." He whispers.

"Really?" I smile. Peter looks down.

"You don't... You don't... believe what the police are saying do you?" He asks, worried about what I think. Of course I don't believe what the police are saying, now that I know it's Peter.

"Of course not," I assure him. "Does it scare you, what you can do?"

"No, no." He smiles and shakes his head. I don't think Peter realises how dangerous this is. He could have possibly died last night.

"What did the thing on the bridge look like?"

"Real big, too big to be human."

"You gotta lay low."

"I can't do that."

"You've got to. I mean why..."

"Because of last night. Those people on the bridge, whatever was attacking them, would have... would have killed them. So, I gotta go after it."

"That's not your job." I tell him. I only want Peter to be safe.

"Maybe it is. I really liked kissing you." Peter says sweetly, giving me that adorable look again. I look down, embarrassed. "You're an amazing kisser." He tells me. I don't know what to say, so I laugh.

"Well, you know, it was good for me too."

"Yeah?" He leans in to kiss me. A football comes flying at us but Peter catches it, inches away from my face, and throws to the other side of the field. The ball flies into the goal post and the metal bends ferociously. Peter and I look at the post in shock. The footballers all complain, trying to figure out what happened. "Maybe we should, uh..." Peter begins.