Chapter Five

Screams come from down the hall. Everyone stops and looks. A swarm of screaming students sprint around the corner.

"Go, go!" Peter shouts at me. I start moving away with everyone else. I look behind me and see a giant monster jump around the corner. Dr Connors' lizard like form prowls around the hall. His malevolent snarl growls at the fleeing crowd of teenagers. Peter runs up to him, getting ready to fight. Before I get the chance to see what happens next, I turn back around and keep running. As I go to leave the building, I stop in my tracks. What am I thinking, leaving Peter to deal with the mutant lizard all alone? The last time he nearly died. How is he supposed to get the upper hand this time? I run back inside and see the halls in ruin. I grab the football team's trophy and keep running up the hall. I see the lizard pick up Peter by his head and smash him against the glass, which cracks all over but doesn't shatter. I club the trophy into his head, it only seems to affect him as if someone pushed his face. Peter falls onto the floor as the lizard man drops him and turns on me.

"Gwen!" He says. I back away, armed with the trophy. He lifts his lean, sharp-clawed hard to strike me but Peter's webbing pulls his arm back. He wraps Connors in web as though he was a real spider. Then strings him to the walls and ceiling. Connors struggles to get out of this sticky mess. A web pulls me in close to Peter. He takes hold of the trophy and smashes it through the window. He takes hold of my lovingly and rests his head on my forehead.

"I'm gonna throw you out the window now." He whispers, affectionately.

"What?!" I shout. Peter immediately tosses me out the window on the third floor. I scream but his web grabs hold of me, leaving me to hang outside. The sirens on police cars get louder as they drive closer. My Dad comes running around the corner, looking for me.

"Gwen!" He shouts, seeing me hanging from a web outside the second floor.

"Dad! I saw him! The lizard Peter was talking about, it's real." Someone upstairs cuts the web and I fall right into Dad's arms. "Peter was right! Dr Connors has transformed himself into a giant mutant lizard. It's this project we've been working on at Oscorp, cross-species genetics. It obviously didn't go to plan." I am raced to the front of the school, where the medical doctors are looking after the students, making sure they are alright and aren't suffering from any head wounds or emotional trauma. I look around for Peter but don't see him anywhere. Is he still in the building? I see Flash sitting on the bench, looking traumatised. "Flash!"

"Gwen!"

"I'm glad you're alright. Have you seen Peter?"

"Parker? No, I haven't seen him. Last time I saw him was just before that giant... thing..." He clutches his head, still in shock. I get my phone out and call Peter.

"Hey." Peter answers, whispering.

"Where are you?"

"I'm fine, I'm Ok. I'm down in the sewer, I'm tracking him, I gotta stop him before anyone gets hurt. But we need an antidote, do you know how to run a serum?"

"Yeah, I do it for Connors all the time."

"Ok, Ok, listen. I need you to go to Oscorp, I need you to access the cross-species file, it's a blue serum, file 12389."

"Ok, got it. On my way." I hang up and start running up the street till I find an unoccupied cab. "Oscorp, please. Quick as you can." The cab speeds along the streets and we are at Oscorp Tower in no time. I run up the stairs and into the lab room. I sign in to the serum making device and select file 12389. My phone starts ringing and I answer Peter's call. "Hi!" I rush.

"Hey, where are you?"

"I'm at Oscorp."

"You have to get out of there right now, Ok?"

"The antidote is cooking."

"No, no, no, Connors is on the way. He's coming to you right now, he needs the disbursement device. He's gonna infect the whole city..." He tries to persuade me to get out but I can't.

"There's eight minutes left."

"You're gonna wait there for eight minutes after what I just told you? People are gonna die! You have to leave right now! Listen, that is an order, Ok?"

"I'm gonna get everybody out." I hang up and activate the evacuation alert. Colleagues start running out of the building. I know I should listen to Peter and get out, but I can't leave the antidote. There is a loud smash and the lights start flashing awkwardly. I grab a Bunsen burner, climb onto the table and turn it on, pointing it at the fire detector. Gas starts firing out of all the detectors while the lights go out and an alarm goes off. The security doors slide down and seal shut. I grab the Ganali device and hide in a small storage facility. As I crouch down, the security door is torn apart on the first hit from Connors. He rips the hole open wider, and climbs in. His menacing growl echoes though the room. I gulp and try to remain calm, keeping my breathing steady and quiet. A large, green head slithers passed to storage door, my eyes widen in fear. Connors stops and breathes fiercely when he sees the Ganali device missing. I hear him take a deep breath and walk slowly across the room. Grasping onto the Ganali device, I close my eyes, hoping that he doesn't find me. I hear metal collide with metal and my face begins trembling. Then there is silence.

A big green, lizard face jumps into view, snarling at me through the door. I let out a scream. Connors tears through the door as if it were a sheet, I turn on the Bunsen burner and point it at his face. His hand acts as a fire barrier and is completely unaffected by the flames. He grabs the Ganali device at my feet and walks away, leaving me gasping for air. I wait a few seconds for him to come back but he doesn't. I slowly peep my head out and see that he is not there, so I climb out cautiously. The antidote device says an announcement: "Antidote complete." Finally! I grab the antidote and run downstairs. As I run outside, my Dad drives up at the door.

"Hey!" He says, getting out of the car and running over to me.

"I have to give this to Spiderman."

"Get in the car, let's go." He tries to pull me along.

"No, we can stop the lizard. You don't understand!"

"I do. Your boyfriend is a man of many masks, I get it. Give me this, get in the car." Dad takes the antidote off me and pushes me towards the car. His colleague grabs hold of me, making sure I don't run off.

"Please make sure he's okay." I cry to him. He nods and I get in the backseat of the car. I feel so helpless now, I want to help Spiderman. I guess all I can do now is hope, hope for the best; that my Dad and Peter both make it out alive. I have my phone in hand, waiting for a call from Peter to tell me everything I alright.

An hour later and we are still waiting in the car. Finally, the rescue team come out of the building. I get out of the car, looking for Peter. Spiderman doesn't come out, I'm not at all surprised because no one can know who he is. But there is someone else missing. My Dad isn't with the rescue team, the only extra things carried out are two body trays. One carries Dr Connors, now returning to his human form. The other carries something unseen. A strip of cloth covers the body that lies beneath. As they walk passed, I pull back the cloth, revealing my father's cold, bloody body. I cover my mouth and look away, falling into the arms of Dad's colleague. My eyes uncontrollably start flooding with tears. The grief in my head is unbearable. I wail loudly under his colleague's arm. I raise my head slightly and look around to find Spiderman, but he is nowhere, he doesn't even show himself to me.