Chapter Two

The bell rings throughout the school. Everyone gets up, collects their bags and walks out of the classroom. Peter is here today but he wasn't in class just now because he smashed he backboard of the basketball hoop in the gym. As I walk down the corridors to my locker, I hear rumours that he got expelled or suspended. I wonder what the really happened to him. I shove my textbooks into my locker, but keep my writing books in hand, and lock the door. I start for the exit and see Peter and an older man talking just down the hall. I lean against the wall, waiting for an opportunity to talk to him. I can't hear what they're saying but it looks serious. The man looks upset with Peter, as would any parent. He sees me watching and catches my gaze. He talks again to Peter, who looks behind him to see me. I quickly look away, pretending not to be staring at him.

"He's got you on his computer!" The old man shouts to me. "I'm his probation officer." He laughs. He says something to Peter before whisking away. Peter laughs.

"Okay!" He turns around to face me, looking worried about what the man said to me. Now Peter and I are the only ones in the corridor. "He's a character. He's my, my uncle," He says, nervously. "He's a pathological liar and he thought you were someone else."

"Oh man, you don't have me on your computer?" I smile.

"I took a photo of the debate team so..."

"Right."

"So, he must have seen it. I was touching up stuff."

"You were 'touching up stuff'?" I ask.

"I'm not gonna answer that." He laughs.

"Did you get expelled?" I ask him the question of the day.

"No, I didn't get expelled. I got community service. So, you want to... I don't know..." He staggers on his words. I'm confused about what he's trying to ask me.

"Want to what?" I ask. He gives me that adorable look with those big brown doe eyes of his as he struggles to find the right words.

"I don't know, just... I don't know, we could... Or we could do something else, or we could... If you don't... We could..." I finally get what he's trying to say. It's kind of adorable.

"Yeah."

"Yeah?" He asks, not sure what my answer is.

"Yeah, either one."

"Really?" He looks surprised and happy at my answer.

"Sure."

"Alright, good, sounds good. Okay." We stand in silence for a while. "No, I can't right now. I can't right now, I'm so busy right now." He says, awkwardly.

"Yeah, me too." We laugh again.

"But, uh. Maybe, uh..." Peter stumbles again. We start to back away from each other.

"Yeah, you know."

"Some other..."

"Time." I finish his sentence for him, spinning around awkwardly with my writing book.

"Ok. Alright." Peter laughs. I walk away from him, smiling. I look back at him and he is still standing there, looking at me. I take small steps as I walk out of school. I run towards the road as I see a taxi slowly drive passed. I wave my hand in the air and the driver slows the vehicle to a stop. I climb into the car and sit on the back seat, resting my bag on the other seat and my book on my lap.

"Oscorp, please." I tell the driver, who starts the car right away. I wait patiently to get there, I am in no hurry. I remembered earlier today that I left my blazer there last night and so I have to drop in quickly and get it. I can easily walk home from there, it's not as far as it is from school. There is hardly any traffic today, which is odd. The streets are usually packed, considering that is it New York City. I pay the driver when we get to Oscorp and collect all my stuff as I get out of the car. I push passed the spinning door and head on upstairs, not bothering to sign in. There is still a lot of people here, as there should be, it is only 3:30. I find my blazer easily. I pick it up and as I go to leave, I see a new list on my desk. It is a list of all the new interns whose internship has been accepted. I'm impressed that it is nearly everyone who was there yesterday. It is my job to put all the names and their details in the Oscorp system. I smile when I see Emily on the top of the list. I found last year's debate team in the 2010 year book. Once I saw the picture I remembered straight away that she was the one who inspired me to enter into the debate team. She had been in it every year since freshman year and was the best spokesperson on her team. She also became team captain the last two years of high school. I'm not as good as her though, I wish I was. I'm pretty good but not brilliant.