Chapter Six

The eerily quiet silence haunts my broken heart. The gloomy, dull clouds rain down upon us, but we are kept dry from the large black umbrellas held above us. Not only am I standing at the edge of my father's grave, but Peter is not here. I haven't heard from him for a week, it's like he's been avoiding me. Everyone I know is here except him. I haven't been at school ever since the night of Dr Connors attack. Oscorp has been under reconstruction for the past week and I expect it won't be finished to later this year.

I stare motionlessly at the coffin being lowered into the ground. My mind is flooded with so much tears it is like I have become one. Not a day has gone by where I don't think of my father or of Peter and cry. There has never once been a moment where I have smiled. Perhaps I will never be happy again, perhaps I have lost the meaning of happiness because now, my happiness is short lived. We all stand with our heads drooped as we mourn the loss of a captain, a husband, a father, a friend. Shortly afterwards, one by one, everyone disperses, walks back to their cars, and continues their day today life without George Stacy. As I make my way down the stairs, I feel a pair of eyes on my and look up. I hope to find Spiderman but no one is there, just my mind playing tricks on me. Maybe that's what hope does to you, it consumes you until you rely on it too much, too late. I pull my umbrella back over my head and keep walking.

When I get back home, the place seems pale and lifeless. I've had enough of this and I decide to go see Peter. I get changed out of my black clothes and put on something a little more casual. A run out the door again without talking to my Mum and call out a cab to get to Peter's place.

I make the taxi driver wait for me further up the street. While I walk down the street to number 36, I think of how our conversation would go. What would he say to me? What would I say to him? I walk up the stairs of the house and knock on the door. At first, no one answers, but after a while, Peter walks down the stairs to the door. The second I see his face, I feel a rush of anger. He walks up to me, emotionless.

"Where have you been?" I ask him. Peter looks angry and upset. He tries not to make eye contact and doesn't say anything. "My father died. There was a funeral. They shot rifles and made speeches. Two of my teachers showed up. Flash showed up. Everyone was there but you." I break down in tears. Peter tries not to get emotional but I can see something is holding him back, but what? I wipe my nose with my jacket. Peter raises his hand to my face then quickly drops it.

"I can't do this. I can't do this. I'm sorry, I can't..." Peter's eyes start to become glassy and tears start to roll down his face.

"What are you saying?" I ask, shocked.

"I can't see you anymore. I can't." He says, louder. I honestly don't believe what I'm hearing. Overturned by his harsh words, I unfold my umbrella and walk back out into the rain. Suddenly, it hits me. I stop on the middle step and turn to face him.

"He made you promise, didn't he? To stay away from me. So I'd be safe." I cry to him. Peter stands motionless and mourningly in front of me. I keep walking down the stairs and back up the street to the cab. I climb in and he drives me back home. I run inside and slam my bedroom door behind me. Mum doesn't even bother to try to communicate with me, she knows I'm not in the mood. I fall onto my bed and bury my head into the pillow, hugging it. My tears saturate the silky surface and I cry myself to sleep.

҉

I drop my bag in my locker and see a bunch of papers that I didn't put there. I read through them and realise they are notes from my teacher for what I need to catch up on. It would seem that I've missed out on a lot, given the fact I haven't been here for just over a week.

"Hello, Parker," Flash jumps on Peter's back. I glance over and back at my books. "You coming along man."

"That's a cool shirt." Peter says to him, seeing the Spiderman picture.

"Yeah, dude's... dude's crazy. But chicks dig him." Same old Flash then. I put the papers back and pull out my literature books. I slam the locker door shut and walk straight passed Peter, without even acknowledging that he is there. He pretends not to notice me. I walk into class and settle in. Miss Ritter, our literature teacher, walks into the classroom, briefcase in hand. She rests it upon the table and begins the lesson.

"Morning, everyone." She leans on her desk as she begins her opening speech for today's lesson. "I had a professor once who liked to tell his students that there were only ten different plots in all of fiction. Well I'm here to tell you he was wrong, there is only one. Who am I?" Peter walks in, late as usual. Miss Ritter gets off her table and picks up some papers for all of us. "Mr Parker, tardy again. Well, at least we can always count on you."

"Sorry Miss Ritter, it won't happen again, I promise." Peter's charming voice replies. I turn my head away from him as he walks passed me.

"Don't make promises you can't keep, Mr Parker." Miss Ritter begins writing on the blackboard.

"Yeah, but those are the best kind." Peter whispers in my ear. I can't help myself but smile as my Peter Parker walks back into the light, pulling me in close.