Part 3

An Evening Celebration

Anne had anticipated being one of the last to arrive at Lady Russell's house that evening, her father being a lifelong adherent to the convention of arriving fashionably late. However, the day had been a quiet one for Sir Walter and his excitement at meeting with old friends and - Anne presumed this was likely his true reasoning - the chance to bask in the glory of being the father of her newly-affianced self, had guaranteed his eagerness to arrive early. Even Elizabeth did not seem disappointed at the opportunity to exhibit a newly purchased gown, whatever the occasion.

The Musgroves had arrived next, with the noticeable absences of Henrietta, who had an appointment with the Hayters, and Louisa, who was tired after a busy few days of wedding preparations and had chosen to retire early, sending profuse apologies for her absence and pleading with Anne to call on her the very next day so that she could congratulate her in person.

Charles and Mary arrived soon after, and Charles joined his parents in making conversation with Sir Walter, who was holding forth his opinions on the latest fashions to be worn at weddings, advising Mr. Musgrove rather more than that man wished. Lady Russell was attempting, unsuccessfully, to shift the conversation to an altogether more agreeable topic. After greeting her father and sister politely, Mary made a direct course towards Anne, and began to relate her frustration at the sheer volume of talk about weddings that seemed to surround her wherever she went of late. Anne said nothing, and eventually Mary lapsed into a few moments' quiet.

"It's rather warm this evening, do not you think, Anne?"

Mary sighed, and unfolded her fan for the third time in ten minutes, waving it about languorously, and sighing yet again that it seemed to make little difference to her suffering.

"Well, we are rather near the fire..." Anne began.

"I do believe it is far too warm this evening to even have a fire, especially in such a small room as this." Mary closed her fan with a flourish.

"Hardly a small room, Mary!" Anne glanced around her. "It's quite as big as the lodgings we have on Straight Street. It's only that there are rather more people in it than you are used to."

"Don't tell me what I am used to," Mary said, crossly. "I merely pointed out that it is far too warm an evening to necessitate a fire in a room of this size." She unfolded her fan again, and began waving it with rather more energy. "Far, far too warm." She sighed. "Oh, who's this arriving?" She leaned in front of Anne, peering past her to the doorway, as it opened to admit Admiral and Mrs Croft. Anne could see nothing but the side of Mary's head, but she recognised the warm laugh of the Admiral, and knew that his arrival meant Frederick must be with them.

"Excuse me, Mary -" She began, attempting to excuse herself from her sister's monopoly.

"Why, I do believe it is Admiral and Mrs. Croft!" Mary declared. "Coo-eee!" She called, waving her free hand in their direction.

"Mary, you don't need to shout, I'm sure they can see us perfectly well," Anne murmured.

"And here's Captain Wentworth with them!"

At this, Anne chose to move a few feet away from her sister in order to escape her stranglehold. Her eyes met Frederick's, and saw his expression lift as he located her. Leaning down to whisper something in his sister's ear, he circumnavigated the small crowd of Elliots and Musgroves to reach Anne's side in a moment.

"Good evening, Mrs. Musgrove," He said, nodding to Mary. "Good evening, Anne." His voice softened to the tone he reserved only for her. "You look very pretty this evening."

Anne blushed, which may have been due to this affectionate comment, but she was rather more sure that her sister had been right, it was far too warm to have a fire lit in a room of this size. Mary tore her gaze away from the door to glance at Anne.