Part 15

Days In Between

"It is all organised?" Edward asked, as Frederick returned to their cottage after his morning of running errands.

"Yes, and without too much difficulty." Frederick nodded.

"Samuel Collins is a decent enough gentleman, and he will be a fair landlord. How long did you seek tenancy for?"

"Only half a year," Frederick said. "We have not yet decided where we shall live, and though Shropshire is lovely, and 'twould be a blessing to be so near to you..." He trailed off.

"I understand!" Edward punched him lightly on the arm. "You cannot conceive of living so far away from the sea. Indeed, your bride may have an opinion all her own on where she wishes to build a home...!" He cast a glance over his shoulder at where Mary could be heard instructing their housekeeper on a matter. Frederick smiled, shaking his brother's hand heartily.

"If I have not yet said it, matrimony suits you, Ed." He said, taking a seat on the broad chaise that had become his preferred location in the Wentworth sitting room.

"As it will you, I don't doubt. You need something to fret over, if not sailors under your command, then a household." He grinned. "You are not planning on heading back out to sea just yet?"

"If the Navy needs me," Frederick said. "I watch the news reports most avidly, but it seems that talk of Napoleon raising an army is, as yet, still just that. Talk." He sighed. "It would be a sacrifice to leave Anne so soon after we wed, but it is no less than my duty - and by defending our nation I defend her too."

"You still have not changed your views, then, that a woman's place is at home not on a ship." Edward chuckled. "And I thought prolonged association with our sister would have stamped that idea quite into the dirt."

"She tried!" Frederick laughed. "Believe me, she tried." He blinked. "War is of course a different concern, and not a fit place for any woman."

"But in peace-time?" Edward pressed.

"In peace-time...I would find it difficult indeed to leave Anne behind for more than a moment. I would not wish her to suffer the privations of life on ship, but if I could surmount those and still keep her by my side..." He trailed off. "Let us agree that I have come to understand the attraction of having one's wife nearby on a long journey. If Anne was to agree, I am sure we could be just as happy travelling together abroad as we would be at home."

"What's this?" Mary asked, bustling in. "Has Frederick Wentworth changed his mind?"

"I believe so Mary." Edward pulled his wife close to him. "Quick, reach for the calendar and mark the date. My dear brother has been persuaded to deviate from his own set and certain course. Alert the presses!"

"I did not say so!" Frederick protested, laughing at his family's teasing. "Merely that I can see the appeal..."

"Indeed, indeed!" Edward chuckled.

They lapsed into a comfortable silence, broken presently when Edward spoke again.

"So, with the lease, everything has been organised? You understand you will need to reside her for four weeks at least, before the licence can be obtained."

"Yes," Frederick said. "I will return to Bath to discuss our plans with Anne, but my lease begins immediately. Is there anything else that might further delay us?"

"I cannot imagine there will be," Edward said. "You will of course need witnesses, but once word reaches Sophy and the Admiral, wild horses would not keep them away. Anne's family, too, if they can deign to visit a small country parsonage such as this." Edward smiled, grimly, for he remembered the 'Elliot pride' well.

"I cannot speak for Sir Walter or Elizabeth," Frederick said. "But I imagine Mary will be persuaded by Charles to attend, and perhaps his sisters and their husbands, though of course travel and cost are considerations." He paused. "I would dearly like my friends, Harville and Benwick, to be there, but it is not quite fair to ask them to make such a journey for the sake of one wedding ceremony." He glanced around the room, and smiled at his hosts. "Also, I fear inviting too many people to stay in such a cosy home: for the house I have taken is not at all large."

"It hardly matters," Mary said. "Shrewsbury is but a short ride away, and I am sure that is quite cosmopolitan enough to amuse such of Anne's family as prefer town to country living." She smiled. "And yet is Kellynch not quite countryside?"

"Ah, but countryside of a specific sort, my dear sister-in-law," Frederick said. "Trust me, if Sir Walter Elliot can find cause to dislike a person or a place he will, regardless of the logic of thinking men."

They lapsed once more into momentary quiet, before Edward spoke again.

"Well, as lovely as it is to have you to stay, I assume you will be returning to Bath before long?"

"I shall begin my journey this evening," Frederick said. "I can take a carriage to Shrewsbury and thence the mail on down to Bath." He smiled. "Not that I am not grateful for your hospitality, and your help."

Edward waved off his thanks.

"And I will see you again upon my return and after, so that we may conclude our business."

"'Conclude our business'!" Mary hooted "Why, if you mean a marriage then say marriage. Do not do us out of what little romance we still manage to find in these parts."

"So shortly wed and yet already jaded. My poor Mary, your life is already so full of romance what need of finding more do you have?" Edward sighed, though his eyes still twinkled with fun. "You, sir, have this yet to look forward to."

"I do," Frederick mused, a smile playing about his lips. "I have all this to look forward to."