Part 6

Isn't it wonderful how Anne and Mr. Elliot enjoy one another's company! Lady Russell's voice wormed its way into Frederick's mind, though her topic of conversation had long since changed. They must be discussing something incredibly important, see how quietly they converse.

He hadn't needed Lady Russell to point that out, indeed he could tell that her innocent observation was anything but innocent. She was determined to point out to him how much more suitably matched Anne was to her cousin than to him. On the surface, Frederick supposed, it could be true. Both Anne and Mr. Elliot grew up in this sort of society that felt nothing but stifling to him. Frederick had found his true home on the sea, amongst his brothers in the Navy. How could he expect Anne to give up all of this that she knew well, to join the ranks of military wives and families? Separation for months at a time, always living with the possibility of her husband's injury or death, was not an easy life for any woman.

For the first time since he had secured Anne's hand he began to wonder if it was a mistake. Was he being selfish, committing her to the life he had chosen? Yet she knew more of it now, than she had in their youth, and still she wished to marry him. He oughtn't to doubt her ability to endure.

"I think if we are all finished we might as well adjourn," Lady Russell said, her loud comment carrying over the other whispered conversations. "I had intended on dancing -" A groan from Sir Walter provoked polite laughter from around the table. "But I will not insist upon it, as the majority of us that remain are rather too advanced in age to truly enjoy it." An unreadable expression flickered across her features. "Perhaps instead we shall stick to cards." She beamed around at her guests, the queen holding court. "Captain Wentworth, would you be so kind as to escort me?"

"Of course, Lady Russell." Frederick stood obediently, and noticed Anne watching him with concern. He managed a small smile, which seemed to allay her anxieties.

"You will join me for a hand of whist, won't you?" She asked him, as they led the party back into a room now laid for cards and conversation rather than dancing. "I know Anne will be easily pressed into joining, also."

"You'll need a fourth, in that case," Frederick began. "Perhaps Admiral Croft -"

"Yes, I imagine he will suffice," Lady Russell said, after a moment's visible hesitation. "Perhaps you could ask him for us."

Frederick wondered a moment the source of her reluctance to invite his brother-in-law to join them, but he did not have long to ponder the question before they reached a table in the centre of the room. Lady Russell released Frederick's arm and he returned to the Admiral, who walked slowly into the room with Sophie.

"Sir, may I steal you?" His lips quirked. "It appears our company is required for a game of whist."

"Of course," Admiral Croft said, patting Sophie on the arm. "If you don't mind, m'dear?"

"Not at all," Sophie said, with a cautious glance at her brother. "You can keep each other in line." She smiled. "And I really must speak to Mrs. Musgrove about Louisa's wedding preparations. I advised her of a good milliner and wish to know if she paid him a visit or not."

She squeezed Frederick's hand warmly, and he recognised the support that lay behind the small gesture.

Soon the game was in full swing, and Frederick sat opposite Lady Russell, with Anne on one side and Admiral Croft on the other. Their quiet progress was punctuated with occasional flurries of conversation from Sir Walter or from Mrs. Musgrove, as Lady Russell's other guests settled to their own games and entertainments.

"Anne, I was so pleased to see you and Mr. Elliot getting on so well at dinner," Lady Russell observed, keen to revisit her earlier topic of conversation once more.