Part 10

A/N - I hope you are all still enjoying this story! We're about halfway through now, so still plenty to come and I will keep updating a couple of scenes a week. If you just can't wait that long, After the Letter is available to purchase now! Either way, see you here Monday for what happens next...

***

The doors to the small chapel were flung open, and a smiling Captain Benwick, with his arm around his new wife, crossed the threshold of the church to be greeted by friends and family and passer-by who adorned the happy pair with flowers and laughter.

Anne beamed and saw her happiness reflected in those that stood nearby, following the young couple out into the noon sunshine. Mrs. Musgrove was in floods of tears, but only because she was "So happy...so very happy!" and even the usually jovial Mr. Musgrove appeared to have a little something in his eye.

The church was not far from Uppercross, and most of the couple's family and friends chose to take the walk with them, as was tradition. Anne was pleased to see Frederick pausing to help Captain and Mrs. Harville and their children into a buggy, and waited a few moments for him to finish this duty so that they could walk together.

"It was a nice wedding, do not you think?" Frederick asked, as Anne took his arm and they followed a few paces behind the procession, where they were able to secure some peace and quiet to talk together.

"Beautiful," she said. "I saw you took Harville's place at the front of the church." She wet her lips. "I hope he was quite alright...?" She remembered a conversation she had shared with Captain Harville, that fateful day that Frederick had confessed his feelings for her, where they had spoken of love, and of loss. Harville had been wrestling even then with Captain Benwick's newfound attachment to Louisa Musgrove. "I was under the impression he approved of the match?"

"He does," Frederick said, shortly. They walked on in silence for a moment. "He does approve of it, the Harvilles adore Louisa. After so long nursing her she has become like family to them: Benwick, too, is more a brother than a mere friend to Harville. I think it was just a hard thing to face, this day, which would have been Fanny's, had fate not so cruelly intervened..."

"I see," Anne said. "Perhaps I will try to speak a little with him later."

"He would enjoy that. He thinks very highly of you."

Anne's cheeks warmed at this praise from a man that Frederick held so dear.

"And I think highly of him. You know I think all of your friends are wonderful." She smiled.

"I'm glad."

They walked a few more steps in easy, companionable silence, before Frederick spoke again.

"Harville asked me when our wedding was to be."

Anne glanced up at him, but his expression was unreadable.

"And what did you tell him?" She asked, a slight smile playing about her lips.

"I said it couldn't happen soon enough for my liking." He clasped her a little tighter. "After all, I think eight years and a half is quite long enough to wait, don't you?"

"Yes," she hesitated, and Frederick seized upon it.

"And yet you have reservations?"

"No," Anne said quickly. "No, not reservations. Rather...I wish people had a little more time to get used to the idea."

"By people I assume you mean your father and sister? Your dear Lady Russell?"

Anne flinched at his stinging tone, and instantly he apologised.

"I think it is somewhat apparent from Lady Russell's behaviour at her gathering the other evening that time or no she is as unlikely to "get used" to the idea of us marrying as she was the first time I asked you."

"I agree she wasn't exactly kind, but -"

"And yet you still defend her!"

"She is my friend."

They had stopped walking by this point, and the crowd they had been following had largely disappeared into the Musgrove's house or dispersed.

"Are we always going to argue about your friends?" Frederick asked.

"I imagine it will depend on how soon you are able to forgive them for past grievances."

"Forgive? Anne, the lady has never apologised - look, she still does exactly as she always has, turning your head to whatever course of action she thinks best suits you, with little enough regard for your own opinions -"

"Whereas you are happy to let me alone to my opinions, but not my choice of company?"

"Company whose motivations are questionable, and whose influence over you has proven dangerously damaging in the past -"

"Quite! In the past. I am sure both of us have many things in our pasts that we regret - "

"And yet you seem oblivious to the risk of repeating the mistake of trusting Lady Russell -"

"Hie! Wentworth, is that you?" Captain Harville's voice carried from the buggy that rolled up towards them, and Anne and Frederick were forced to declare an uneasy truce.

He hesitated just a moment before the frustration rent from his face, and he turned to his friend with a wave.

"Hello, Harville. Did you take the scenic route?"

The buggy slowed to a stop, and its driver nodded, climbing down from the seat and opening the door to help the Harville family dismount. Frederick also offered his hand to help the children scramble down, and dismissed the driver, who walked the buggy around towards the Musgroves' stables.

"It was lovely," Mrs. Harville said, as she walked around to where Anne was standing. "I've not seen much of the countryside here before now, and so my husband suggested we take a short drive, and allow the happy couple to settle in for a moment before we joined the party." She peered around them. "Where is everyone?"

"Inside, I believe," Anne said. "Come, shall I help you with the children?"

"Oh, not a bit!" Mrs. Harville said, glancing towards her husband and Frederick, who were standing awkwardly by, watching the two women. Understanding travelled across Mrs. Harville's face, and she cleared her throat. "My dear husband will help me." She turned a pointed glance at Captain Harville. "Dear husband! Help me with the children..."

Smiling briefly at Wentworth, Captain Harville manoeuvred around and helped to herd his family towards the big house.

Frederick took a step closer to Anne, and silently offered her his arm. After hesitating a moment longer than necessary, she took it.

"I do dislike arguing with you," he grumbled.

"I can't say I am fond of it," Anne admitted. "And I understand your concerns, I do, but Lady Russell...my father...they are my family, and I cannot just disregard their feelings."

"Even when they care little enough for yours?" Frederick stopped, and Anne stopped with him. "Anne, you have a tender heart, and you care too deeply for people who rarely show you the same regard. Can you not, for once, put your - our! - happiness first? Let us marry, and soon, and then this whole issue will be settled." The door opened, and a warm shout of laughter reached them. Anne felt her frown melt, and a small smile tugged at Frederick's mouth. "You see? Nobody can be unhappy at a wedding."