6; The Sister

New cover. What you think?

Umi stared into the room in front of her, her hood up to cover her hair. "I hope it's to your liking," the woman who owned the place said.

Umi nodded and turned to the woman with a smile. "It's perfect," she said quietly.

"Great! Now, you get all settled in and comfortable. Maybe you will be able to meet darling girl who's just next door," she said and stepped out of her room.

What girl? Umi thought and closed the door. She had heard of that name before, somewhere in her mind. Maybe I'll go see her, she thought with a nod.

The bed sprang slightly when she sat on its mattress. "It isn't much, but I think I can live with it, right, Ein?"
Ein barked up at her and jumped onto the bed. She chuckle and pet him. "Of course you'd agree. You love being in new places."

He nuzzled up against her and flopped down once she stood up. She walked towards the window and pulled the curtains aside, feeling the breeze. "Maybe I should meet this 'darling girl'..."
Umi contemplated wether she should or should not visit her new neighbor. Then, she nodded, left her hood down and walked towards the door. "Ein," she called and the dog struck his head up to look at his master. "Stay. I'll be back soon. You just sleep. I'll have the nice lady from before take care of you."
He merely yipped in response and lay his head down as she walked out of the door.

Across from the staircase was another door. That must be her's, she thought and hoped. She walked over to it and held her arm up and was about to knock, but she hesitated. What am I thinking? She put her hand down with a sigh.

Just as she was about to turn away, the door opened and a girl stepped out. Both the girls eyes widened once they both got a good look at each other.

"Umi?!"

"Shirayuki...?"

"It's been so long!" Shirayuki went up and gave Umi a hug. "It's been years!"

"Oh, right," Umi said, patting her old friend on the back. "I forgot."

Shirayuki chuckled and let her go. "I don't blame you, I forgot as well," she laughed. "What are you doing in Clarines?"

Umi smiled. "I thought it would be best for me to leave my old home and experience something new."

"How did you manage to get here?"

"A man named Izana helped me."

"T...The king?!" Shirayuki was shocked by this and even more so when Umi nodded.

"I didn't know he was a king, though..."

"That's incredible, Umi!" Shirayuki smiled brightly. "Do you have a job yet?"

"You ask a lot of questions, Shirayuki."

"Well, it's been three years since I've seen you—I can't help but be curious," she shrugged and stepped out of the door frame, closing the door behind her. "Let's go for a walk," she said and  Umi nodded, following her downstairs and outside.

The blue haired girl answered Shirayuki's earlier question. "Izana said I could work in the 'Royal Library' or something."

"Oh, I've heard of that place. There's a lot of important stuff in there, and they sometimes handle finances."

"I see."

"I'm a court herbalist, so I'm now heading to the palace as well—we can go together!"

Umi smiled and nodded, her blue hair bouncing slightly.

Umi's POV

Time has gone by with us speaking to each other. She was the person who I'd speak to the most, I don't know why, though. Maybe it's because she knows what it's like to be tested differently because of our abnormal hair colors. Perhaps because she treats me as if I was a normal everyday person you'd see in the streets.
Or maybe because I would think that this is what's it's like to have a sister. Whichever the reason, I'm grateful.

But for now, I ask myself a question: where's the library? No one has given me direct instructions as to how I get there.

I've walked up to the gates with Shirayuki and the guards welcome her in, but give me confused looks. Still got through that obstacle.
"Are you sure that you don't want me to help you to font the library?" She asks me.

I nod. "I'll be fine, don't worry."

She gives me a wary look. "If that's what you want," she smiles and points to the doors that lead inside. "Just head in through those doors. You'll probably have to ask someone for directions because I don't know where it is myself."

"Okay," I say. "I'll see you later."

She nodded and headed her way and I walked inside the doors, slowly. I was very nervous about walking around an unfamiliar place alone. If Izana was here, I'd be more comfortable, I though then widened my eyes. I meant to say Shirayuki. I shook off that thought—I'd probably forget it in at least half a second anyway, just like waking up in the morning after having a dram.

I walked down the hall and then I came to a crossroad. Two different corridors; one to the left and one to the right. In stories, people usually choose the path to the right, I thought and nodded, turning right.

"Um, excuse me," someone said behind me.

I turned and saw a boy—perhaps around my age—standing in the left corridor.

"Are you lost?" He asked.

I nodded. "Yes," I said quietly.

"That's okay. Where are you heading?" He smiled kindly at me.

"Royal Library."

"I'm heading there right now, coincidentally," he said. "Come with me, miss." I nodded and followed behind him as he walked down the right corridor. I knew it. "I see you don't talk much," he chuckled.

"Hm," I answer. "What's your name?"

He laughs. "Hal. And yours?"

"Umi."

"That's a nice name, just like your hair. It's beautiful," he says then blushes. "I-I mean, it's very pretty—no! I mean—"

"It's fine," I say. "I get what you're saying."

He exhales. "Sorry, I just don't want you to be uncomfortable. You're the new person who's going to work with us in the library, right?"
I nod.

It was silent for the rest of the walk. I merely followed behind him as he stopped in front of a door. "This is it."

Royal Library, here I come.

Sorry for any mistakes because I'm just rushing now, lol.

This is probably the story I'm gonna work on the most now~