Best Defense Against the Dark Arts

Late on a Thursday, Malfoy finally decided to join the rest of the class. Slytherins and the Gryffindors were halfway through class when Malfoy swaggered in. His right arm was covered in bandages and bound up in a sling.

"How is it, Draco?" Pansy the pug simpered. "Does it hurt much?"

"Yeah," Malfoy said, putting on a brave grimace. But I saw him wink at Crabbe and Goyle when Pansy looked away.

"Settle down, settle down," professor Snape said idly.

I glanced at Harry and Ron, they were scowling at each other. If they'd have came in late, Snape would probably kill them, me on the other hand get out of everything, because all the teachers love me, well, except Trelawney, but I'm okay with that cause I don't like her either.

Today we're making a new potion, a Shrinking Solution.

I was sitting at the same table next to Harry, Malfoy went over to our table and sat next to Ron. He got his ingredients as Ron, Harry and I started cutting our roots.

"Sir," Malfoy called, "sir, I'll need help cutting up theses daisy roots, because of my arm -"

"Weasley, cut up Malfoy's roots for him," Snape said without looking up.

Ron went brick red.

"There's nothing wrong with your arm," he hissed at Malfoy.

Malfoy smirked.

"Weasley, you heard professor Snape; cut up these roots."

Ron seized his knife, pulled Malfoy's roots towards him, and began to chop them roughly, so that they were all different sizes.

"Professor," Malfoy drawled, "Weasley's mutilating my roots, sir."

Snape approached our table and looked at Ron's roots and the roots Ron had cut for Malfoy.

"Change roots with Malfoy, Weasley," he said.

"But, sir -!"

Ron had spent a quarter of an hour cutting his roots perfectly, like I had.

"Now!" Snape said in the most dangerous voice.

Ron shoved his beautifully cut roots to Malfoy.

I sighed and grabbed the roots Ron cut for Malfoy and gave Ron my perfect ones. He was about to protest but I just smiled. Ron seemed a bit happier.

"And, sir, I'll need this shivelfig skinned," Malfoy said, his voice full of malicious laughter.

"Potter, you can skin Malfoy's shrivelfig," Snape said, he keeps putting everything on Harry and Ron, I'm a little glad I'm his favorite but I feel bad for Harry and Ron.

Harry seized Malfoy's shrivelfig, but I stopped his hand and took it from him and doing it for him, he smiled at me and I returned it. When I finished, I threw Malfoy's shrivelfig at him.

"Seen your pal Hagrid lately?" He asked us quietly.

"None of your business," Ron said jerkily.

"I'm afraid he won't be a teacher much longer," Malfoy drawled. "Father'll not very happy about my injury-"

"Keep talking, Malfoy and I'll give you a real injury," I snarled.

"- He's complained to the school governors. And to the Ministry of Magic. Father's got a lot of influence, you know. And lasting injury like this" he gave a huge fake sigh, "Who knows if my arm'll ever be the same again?"

"So that's why you're putting it on," Harry said, accidentally beheading his caterpillar. I sighed and took the caterpillar and gave him mine. "To try and get Hagrid fired."