September 29th

September 29th, 2013

Dear You,

I woke up today to discover that I'm too shy to even talk to you in my dreams. 

A blonde lady with a long braid down her back came in and handed you a coffee. You both started talking, laughing every few seconds. I assumed she asked you about your book, because then you held up a blue hardback. She laughed. I couldn't quite hear the conversation, but I'm assuming it was just things girls talk about. Would I have wanted to know? Probably not. But I'm glad you're laughing. Oh, that laugh. I could pick it out of a crowd, a million miles away, underwater, with my ears chopped off.

I don't sit in the green beanbag chair on the far back wall anymore. I sit at the table in the middle of the library. I would have lied and said I moved because I was tired or writing on my knee, but c'mon, who am I fooling? You? The librarians? Myself? I'm not fooling anybody. I sat at the table because it was about ten feet closer. So now I'm only twenty-five feet away from you.

Maybe one of these days you'll notice me.

I stopped what I was doing and listened carefully. You two sat and talked for a long while. Your friend said something about Indianapolis. You asked when she was going back. And she said tomorrow. You rushed to pack your things and said, "We need to catch up! Let's go get lunch." So off to lunch you went. I usually wait ten minutes after you leave to go home, so I don't look suspicious. Still, I probably do.

I wonder what your deal is. What your story is. Who your mother is, what your first pet's name was, why you look so sad sometimes. How many times you've had your heart broken, and what your greatest fears are. Sometimes I forget that you are just like any other person. Like me, but with different thoughts, different opinions, and a different taste in music.

Then one of the librarians, Miss Nancy, shouted, "Girls! You forgot your books!" holding up a bag filled with library books. You ran back to grab it, said a quick thanks, and you were on your way.

I wish she called you by your name. I would like to know it. Maybe it's something like Ashley or Jessica, or Kirsten or Meghan. Or Kendall or Jenny.

I bet it's prettier than all of the above.

With great love,

Nathan

-----

I am so sorry these chapters are so short! I'll try and work on making them longer. Leave some suggestions in the comments if you have any, I'd love to hear them(: