Family

If someone with ADHD has a sibling, there is a twenty to thirty percent chance that the sibling will also have ADHD (Gephart). One of four children with ADHD will have a family member that may have ADHD (Steckler & Deskin). The family gene is responsible for ten percent of ADHD cases ( "New Gene"). Along with running in families ADHD can appear in girls and more commonly boys.The CDC says that twenty percent of all boys are diagnosed with ADHD by the age of eighteen ("It's Hardly Helpful"). One girl is diagnosed with ADHD for every ten boys(Littleman). Girls that may have ADHD can be overlooked since signs in girls that are missed are fidgeting while twirling hair and cuticle picking (Littleman). Girls that don't pay attention and have no disabilities of learning are the last ones to be diagnosed if at all (Littleman). Girls with both inattentive and hyperactive types of ADHD will show hyperactivity with hyper talkativeness or emotional hyperactivity (Littleman).A way to get a clearer diagnosis is the 3D SPECT(Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography) that gave a eighty-three percent of sensitivity in predicting a diagnosis (3D Brain) but does cost $3,500 for a full session(Dr. Amen)