Solutions

People with ADHD are supported by family support, meeting with a teacher or counselor about the problem, and prescription medicine (Quinn & Stern). Prescription medicine is the most common (Rabbani). Over one billion dollars has been spend on ADHD stimulant medicine(Rabbani). 2.2 million children took stimulant medication in 2002 (Rabbani). Stimulant medications like Ritalin and Dexedrine are the most common with short-term effects of insomnia, appetite weight loss, headaches, and mood swings(Chen). The only found longer-term effect is possible growth retardation that causes the loss of one centimeter per year during the use of the medicine. Ritalin also known as Methylphenidate was the most effective for use of reducing ADHD behavior and balancing out neurotransmitters (Valkenberg). It is also known as Methylin, Metadate, Concerta, MPH
and its street names are Vitamin R & West coast. Methylphenidate is one of the top ten prescription drugs that get stolen for illicit use (Blackford). During the early 2000's,90% of Methylphenidates were for children with ADHD. In 2009, guesses were that 8% to 10% of school-aged kids were taking Methylphenidate for behavior. Ritalin may have worked at first but the side effects of it were nausea and a decrease in appetite (Focamp). Other sides effects were insomnia, skin rash, fever, anorexia, headache, abdominal pain. In worry over substance abuse of the drugs, by people with ADHD who took Ritalin have a smaller chance of substance abuse than the people with ADHD left untreated (Berger).
Another kind of medicine is Focalin helps children make the most of their natural cycle of the day('Head to Head"). Focalin works best during the beginning of the day. Focalin in a study showed higher scores in the improvement and concentration than Concerta on symptom control. Focalin is also more efficient than Concerta by twelve hours. Focalin is meant for the treatment of adults and teens & children older than six. Effects of Focalin are dyspepsia, loss of appetite, headache, and anxiety in children. In adults, the side effects are dry mouth, dyspepsia, feeling jittery, dizziness, headache, and anxiety("Head to Head"). There was a study that said people with ADHD on medication will be less likely to commit crimes(Landau). Medicational drugs may stop patients from illegal acts. ADHD medication men are thirty-two percent less likely and women are forty-one percent less likely to commit a crime. During the study of the non-treated people, the chance to commit a crime went up to twelve percent.
Yet another form of treatment is the Chinese herbal treatment. In Chinese medicine, ADHD is diagnosed or known as liver wind rising with shen disturbance from yin deficiency(stress)(Chen). Liver wind is the lack of balance in the body. The causes of liver wind is extreme heat with the up flaming of Liver-fire generating wind (hyperactive), Liver- yang rising causing wind(emotional) and deficiency of Liver-blood(syndrome) (Ilander). Liver wind is cured through calming and tonic herbs to restore balance in the body. To get
rid of liver wind and calm liver yang, the herbs mu li, jue ming zi, and gou teng are for rid of liver wind and calm liver yang, the herbs mu li, jue ming zi and gou teng are for neutralizing moods. Bin jia and gui ban are to increase liver yin and assist in getting rid of liver wind. To also increase yin, bai shao, sheng di huang, and mai men dong are used. Bai shao is also used for the liver to relieve spasms, cramps, and stiffness. Mai men dong calms down heart fire to reduce shen disturbance. Heart fire is an intense condition and shen disturbance cause long-term emotional problems (Ilander). Shi chang pu and Yuan zhi are two fragrant herbs that help with restoring cognitive and sensory functions. Two herbs are often used for forgetfulness and problems with concentration. Chuan xiong encourages blood circulation while improving stagnation and pain. Zhi gan cao strengthens the heart and balances the formula for the herbs, that they are specifically put in to protect the liver while improve getting rid of toxins in the environment. All the herbs improve memory, learning, getting rid of toxic that increases the risk of ADHD and balances the central nervous system to rid of hyperactivity. The herbs balance the body for success that positive. All the herbs are usually safe but be cautioned if problems started to happen that can harm the user and should stop being taken when Liver wind is gone.
Along with the herbs to get rid of the liver, the person taking them will also have to consume a large amount of calcium and magnesium, for example, fish and vegetables.
When taking the herbs, it is suggested the user avoids food coloring and sugar while decreasing intake of carbohydrates to have a smaller risk of ADHD. The herbs are safer than medicine/drugs in the short and long term. The success of the herbal treatment will also depend on diet, environment, and behavior. Treatment in the long term that can help is a reward/ penalty system and training of parents. Behavior wise, Clinical behavior therapy and cognitive behavior treatment will also help along the way(Chen). Meditation can help relieve the stress of the symptoms of ADHD ("Meditation"). Medication is only one option for the treatment of ADHD while behavior intervention is another(Landau). ADHD affects millions of people every day and always will but there is still things we can do about it.