i could be your new addiction

From: http://archiveofourown.org/works/884547

~~~~~~

Rating: Mature

Warnings/tags: nanny!au, like harry's a nanny but he's in highschool, High School, richboy!au, fluff

Word count: 12901

Summary: 

"she hangs up, and harry hasn’t a clue what he just got himself into.

it’s mainly: nanny?"

harry works as a nanny, and louis is the girls' older brother.

-

Harry has never been desperate, really. He appreciates what he has and what he’s given and never, ever intends to come off as ungrateful for all of the things his mum does to support their family. But he’s in school and sometimes he wants to do things, and it’s kind of hard to when you don’t have just a bit of cash to burn on. 

It’s his sister who suggests he gets a job. “Come on, Harry!” Gemma says through the phone line. “It’ll be good for you! You know how bad Mum feels when she can’t help with cash. Think of it as a learning experience!”
Harry wants to snort but instead sighs, running a hand through his hair and looking down irritably at the homework he’d started earlier but took a break from to phone his sister. “But what do I even do?” Harry whines.

“Become a babysitter! You’re great with kids,” Gemma reminds him. 

“A babysitter?” Harry repeats. “That’s lame.”

“Have you got any other ideas?” Gemma retorts. “Plus, you’ve always been good with our neighbors and cousins. It’ll be a worthwhile thing. Plus, it’s not forever, yeah? Hang up something in town. You’ll see. I’m always right.”

Harry sighs again. He can’t exactly argue. “All right, Gem. I’ll give it a go. Yeah. Have a good weekend, okay?”

“You, too, H,” Gemma says softly. “Go out and get some life experience.” She laughs. “You need it.”

Harry can hear the teasing and laughing in her voice and the joking in her eyes, so he glances down at his phone and promptly hangs up, knowing that he’ll get shit for it later. He peers down at the maths again, but opens a word document on his laptop instead. He needs a paper to hang in town. 

***

On the way to school the next morning, he stops at the supermarket. And when he parts, there’s a paper tacked up on the board with his name, information, poorly made WordArt, and tearable tabs of his mobile number. 

While he’s at school, he gets four texts from unknown numbers. Two of them ask if he’s free to do hard labor. (Which – no.) One asks if his refrigerator is running. (To which he thinks – really?) And the other is saying that he should be expecting a call later. And, well, at least one person has the potential to be serious. He struggles through maths but thinks, 

hey, I might be able to buy new shoes next month. 

He gets the call on his way home, the sky looking angry, dark, and threatening. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out his phone. It’s an unknown number, and he crosses his fingers that it’s legitimate as he walks. 

“Hello?” Harry says when he picks up.

“Is this Harry Styles? The boy who has his information in the grocery?” It’s a lady.

Harry chuckles a little. “That’s me.”

“Look. I want you to take that down,” the woman says.