Chapter 1 ~ [ Slaves Have No Home ]

* ~~, ~~, Japan, Sanguinem *
(Y/n) had never been alone before. Now that the streets of Sanguinem were deserted and the vampires were outside hunting for the kids left alive after the virus spread, she was feeling more somber than ever. She had been told nothing about what was going on except that more children would be brought. Honestly, she couldn't decide if that was good or not.

She sat with her legs crossed outside of the small house she would be staying in, blinking at the dull green light that seemed to soak every corner of the underground city. Darkness didn't bother her, but being so alone did.

For the last five years, she had been strictly kept in Krul's castle. She was allowed to roam free, but what was there to do when everyone she knew were vampires with duties and no interest whatsoever in playing with her? The news that she would be staying with more kids her age had been well-received.

Sighing, the girl stood from her seat. "Takeo!" she called, her voice echoing in the silence she had learned to live in.

There was no answer.

(Y/n) pouted and called out again. "Takeo! Where are you?"

"I'm right here," an annoyed voice called from behind her. "You don't have to scream so loud."

(Y/n) turned, the pout still on her face, and looked up at the demon staring down at her. "I'm bored," she stated, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Which means?"

The girl's expression fell in incredulity. She wanted to play a game, just not the games the demon liked to play. "Lets play hide and seek. But don't cheat! You're It this round, so count to twenty," she instructed, "but do it slowly!"

The black-haired demon hummed and swatted his hand in the air dismissively. "Alright... I'll start now." Black flames consumes his whole body, leaving Takeo with the appearance of a child no more than ten years old—close to (y/n)'s age— when they died down. His horns and tail were still there, and his blue eyes kept the same mischief they always had. Closing his eyes, he started, "Twenty!"

(Y/n) jumped, a grin stretching over her lips. As silently as she could, she rushed away into the dark passageways and catwalks of the city.

Despite the city having the layout of a maze and the expanse of the whole city of Kyoto overhead, (y/n) knew every street and building and the city itself like the palm of her hand. She ran quietly and barefoot, making sure to make the right turns in the right places to reach her favorite hiding spot. Sanguinem was impeccably built to resemble an 18th century city, but (y/n) had searched long and hard for the crooks and nicks in the buildings and found slight imperfections where her 8-year-old self could fit. It so happened that her favorite spot was a hole built in into the wall of a clock tower by the Main Street. She could probably stay there forever and not be found.

She took a left turn in a catwalk and arrived at the clock tower. She listened closely to Takeo as he counted down, his voice carrying across the streets and bouncing off the walls.

"Seven! Six—"

Heart beating hard in her chest with childish excitement, (y/n) found the crack in the wall and squeezed in. It was pitch black and humid inside, like a different world. Sanguinem also felt like a different world sometimes. Living for so long underground really kept her wondering if the sky hadn't fallen in the surface. The darkness, however, was something she had grown accustomed to. Pursing her lips to keep herself from making a sound, she crouched motionless in the hole, waiting.

"Ready or not, here I come!" Takeo called out from somewhere.

(Y/n) wriggled with excitement, resisting the childish urge to peek out of the hole. Instead, she held her breath and listened for Takeo's approaching footsteps. She never heard them even when she noticed a shadow peeking from the corner of the building, one she could see from her hiding spot and would recognize anywhere. Turning away from the opening, she just hoped Takeo didn't find her.