Chapter 5 ~ [ Part of a Team ]

* Friday, 3:48am, Japan, over Tokio *
The stars shone brightly against the void black of the sky, gleaming against the metal of the aircraft as it hovered over the city. Vampires were seated against the walls in parallel lines. They were all quiet or silently whispering to each other as they waited to arrive in their destination in Tokyo.

A warning was voiced through the speakers of the craft. "The Imperial Demon Army may attack us from the districts of Shibuya, Shinjuku, and Ikebukuro. Please be careful."

One of the vampires, Rene, kept quiet, his eyes closed as he tried to get some rest before heading into battle.

Lacus, on the other hand, stared with a bored expression at the young vampire who sat on the floor, staring out the window with foggy eyes. "In that case, Mika," he started, tone dripping with mischief, "shall we start with Shinjuku?"

The blond didn't show any reaction, only a flicker of his pale blue eyes towards his purple-haired partner. He blinked, then turned to look down at his gloved hands. He wasn't looking forward to the battle, but deep inside, he felt his blood rush with hope of seeing his family again, and with enough luck, to save them from the vampires and humans.
~
* Friday, 10:27am, Japan, Shibuya, ~~ *
(Y/n) had been listening to Mitsuba complain for what had to be at least ten straight minutes. Her head was starting to hurt with the shrill screaming from the blonde, but she still didn't move away from Guren's side.

"Why was I assigned to a team of rookies?" Mitsuba complained loudly, her cheeks blushed with anger and indignation. "I'm an elite soldier! I joined the annihilation force when I was thirteen!"

Guren was frowning. He looked like a man who regretted his life choices until then, and (y/n) was honestly sure he did to ay least some level. His hair was slicked back neatly and he was a tad more serious-looking today than most days. He was showing professionalism for the first time in forever. It was a refreshing thing to see.

Sadly, Mitsuba was still having none of it. "I might have tolerated this if I had been the team leader in charge of training the new recruits"—her face got even redder than before, eyes wild with rage—"but now you say the leader is going to be none other than Shinoa Hiragi with that silly smile that's always plastered on her face! Explain that to me!" She was screaming at the top of her lungs now, hands flailing in the air in wild gestures of anger.

It was honestly worrisome that such a young girl like her was capable of such levels of anger. (Y/n) was concerned with her health, but she was more concerned with her own ears—Mitsuba was screeching in frequencies that shouldn't be possible for human capabilities. Her head was starting to pound.

I can shut her up, for everyone's sake, came Takeo's voice in the back of the (h/c)'s mind.

(Y/n) resisted the urge to pull a face at that. The idea of quieting her down was good, but not when it came from Takeo. His methods could be rather extreme. It was better to try and calm Mitsuba down. "Mitsuba, you—"

But she was instantly cut off by the blonde, who turned an accusing finger on (y/n). "No! I don't want to hear it from anyone, especially you, (y/n)!" she hissed, glaring daggers at the other girl, who pressed her lips tightly together and allowed herself meekly to be screamed at. "I was here before you—I was in the army before you, too! I don't care what freaky deal you made with that demon weapon of yours, but that proves nothing! Nothing, you hear!"

"W-wait a second!" (y/n) stuttered, feeling directly attacked now.

Mitsuba stuck a finger at the girl's face. "You wait a second!" Her pigtails seemed to bristle, light eyes darkening with fury. "You might be a good soldier, but I'm better at fighting than you and everyone else my age!"