Chapter 3 ~ [ Deals with the Devil ]

* 4 years later, Thursday, 11:18am, Japan, Shibuya, somewhere in the school's hallways *
(Y/n) rushed through the hallways of the high school, navigating the building as quickly as she could to get to her next class of the day. She was already running late, but she wasn't thinking about time at all.

She had been gone most of the week due to her yearly medical checkups and tests she was forced to take by the government. Everyone was supposed to take them when you were part of the Imperial Demon Army, but she knew the tests run on her were different from the standardized ones everyone else went through. Her checkups were exhausting and exaggerated, to say the least.

Besides, it was no secret they had been recollecting data on her for their ulterior motives since the very start. Takeo probably knew what they were using all the information for, but (y/n) was afraid to ask. Also, the government wanted to make sure she was not a threat to them.

Was she? Maybe. She didn't know virtually anything about herself that Takeo hadn't said—she felt like she had amnesia, but this amnesia was of a past life—so she really couldn't tell if she was a threat or not. She didn't want to be one...

That's why she was fine with being tested on. She could discover more about herself with their help, maybe discover what and who she really was.

She had several theories, but she believed one the most: she was possessed.

She had seen possessed people before, and since Takeo refused to answer most of her questions about herself, she—and the government and everyone she knew—believed she was possessed by an exceptionally strong demon, which just happened to be Takeo himself. Possessions so strong had happened before in history, just not as successfully.

Judging from everything she knew, (y/n) really believed she had been an experiment once and had successfully been a host to Takeo as a demon for her whole life. It would explain a lot of things about herself.

Takeo knew the truth. But again, he was a bitter jerk who refused to tell her the truth about herself.

The hallway came to an end and she took a sharp left toward the classrooms. Her backpack bounced against her back as she skidded to a stop in front of a door and opened it. "Sorry I'm late, I—"

(Y/n) cut herself off, stiffening when a wave of cool darkness washed over her, and blinked at the inside of the classroom.

Students lied on the floor or passed out over the desks, everyone either out cold or looking completely disoriented. There was no teacher and the room looked like it had withstood an explosion inside. Tension floated thick in the air, followed along with the aftertaste of ash and blood—a demon had been let loose, and (y/n) recognized the distinct cadence of this demon's presence.

At least she wasn't late to class.

"Guren..." she mumbled to herself, feeling suddenly exhausted. She closed the door silently and turned on her heels, mentally mapping the missing students from the class: Yuu, Kimizuki, Yoichi, and Shinoa.

She knew Shinoa had been transferred to Yuu's class for "classified" reasons she didn't even want to know about. Those two not being there, along with Kimizuki, who was an exceptional student, and Yoichi, who was the purest cinnamon roll and a whole bunch of hidden potential mixed in a human, meant Guren was planning to do something bad.