Chapter Four - Rehab

I was feeling the time difference, but that seemed to encourage the insomnia. I was fully awake at two a.m. while Uncle Jem was long asleep. Since this was our first day, I didn't want to get on his bad side just yet. I settled for sneaking down the stairs into the living room and watching TV. An adult cartoon comedy was on, making me laugh at some parts. Maybe I was louder than I thought, because Jem appeared out of nowhere, scaring the hell out of me.

"What the hell are you doing, Boy?"

I struggled for an answer once the initial shock wore off. "Uh..."

"Do you know what time it is?"

"Somewhere around three?"

"It's two a.m. How are you still awake?"

Well, the better thing to do was be honest. If I was going to be here for a while, he might as well know what it was like to live with me.

"I have Insomnia."

"Insomnia?" He repeated, not believing me.

"Yeah... I have pills for it... but they don't work."

I saw the understanding fill into eyes.

Uncle Jem nodded. "Insomnia... 'that mean you're wide awake now?"

"Yeah."

He sighed. "How long until you pass out?"

"I don't know. Some nights I don't sleep at all."

Uncle Jem yawned. "Fine then, just keep it down."

"I'll do my best."

He waved me off then walked back up the stairs.

When I heard his door shut I raided the kitchen.

I learned two things that night. First, Uncle Jem was a junk food hoarder. Second, he was in love. At the back of the fridge sodas and Hostess sweets were hidden. I took out a small liter of my favorite pop and snatched a Hostess Snoball. I sat on one of the stools lining the other side of the counter and watched TV from there. I reached for the soda, but knocked it over by mistake. I caught it before it fell, but some of it spilled onto the counter top.

"Great," I muttered and got up.

I searched around the kitchen, searching for a napkin or paper towels. I started pulling open drawers and closing them until something caught my eye. In one drawer a picture frame laid, like it was tossed in hastily. Picking it up, I saw it was of photo of Uncle Jem, his arms wrapped around a dark-haired and blue-eyed woman. They were smiling, laughing actually. I wondered who she was, and why she wasn't here with Jem. More importantly, why he'd want to hide the picture in the first place. I put it back the way I found it.

I didn't sleep much when I was finally tired. It was two hours worth at the most. When I woke up the sunlight shone in from the window. Knowing I didn't have any hope of sleeping further, I threw off the blankets and showered. When I came down the stairs Uncle Jem sat at the counter reading the newspaper. He held a cup of steaming liquid in his hand. Jem took a sip every two minutes.

I went straight for the pantry and pulled out a box of cereal. I was halfway done eating before Jem said anything.

"I'm going into town today," he said,"I imagine you have a few things you wanna eat too, so you're going to take care of the groceries today."

I looked up and found him studying me.

"Is that a problem?" He questioned.

I shook my head. "No, it doesn't matter."