Chapter Fifteen - Secrets

The sun was setting, leaving a gold glow on the dark body of water before us. Some stray leaves floated along the water like small boats setting sail into a vast ocean. It was utterly calm along the dock. The others were inside, giving Emily and I time alone. I didn't want tonight to end. I'd stay here the whole summer with Emily if I could, but it had already been a week, and our families were expecting us back soon.

"Tell me about your brother." Emily asked.

I took a deep breath and focused on the water. "He was good for a time being. He'd do anything for the people he loved. Everyone was always comparing us- expecting me to live up to him, but I never let it get to me. Scott always told me to forget what people said, that I was my own person with the power to pave my own path. He was always... helping others. He never put himself before anyone; he was the definition of selfless. I didn't really mind being compared to him as the years past. I wanted to be more like him." I paused for minute, thinking. "I was always the little brother he kept having to get out of trouble. He was constantly there for me, but I never did shit for him."

Emily squeezed my hand. "Don't say that."

"It's true."

"He still loved you."

"Not enough."

Emily looked out into the lake. "I don't know why horrible things happen. I don't know why some people get another chance and others don't, but I bet you anything that Scott would take it all back if he could."

"Nah, he got what he wanted. He didn't care how it would affect us."

"No, he didn't stop and think. It was the high of the moment. If he had thought then there's no way he would have left you and your parents."

I scoffed. "You act as if you know."

Emily's tone went sharp. "I don't have to lose someone to know what pain is, or to know what loss feels like. Has anyone inside that cabin told you their story yet? We all have our secrets, Corren. We've all fought battles. Maybe no one will ever truly understand, but we get it. I didn't have to be in Scott's head to know. If you ever happen to speak to someone who jumped off a building and lived, ninety-nine percent of the time, in the instant before they hit the ground, they regret it."

I stayed quiet.

"This world- it's cruel, but we don't have to face it alone."

I kissed Emily's hand. "How do you do it?"

"Do what?"

"Remain positive when you're carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders."

She smiled a little. "I remember that the bad doesn't last forever."

I helped her up. "We should go in..."

"Yeah..."

I leaned in, never missing how Emily's breath caught. I kissed her and the rest of the world faded away. I held her close, not wanting to let go.

"Hey, Love Birds!"

Emily quickly broke away, but I smirked and held her by her waist.

Jason was on the porch of the cabin. "You guys coming in soon? We're starting a fire!"

"Yeah, we'll be back in a minute!"

"Alright, wear protection you two!" Jason went back inside.

It sounded like Emily was choking on air beside me. Her face had a rosy blush. I chuckled and kissed her head. The thought crossed my mind for a moment as we walked back to the cabin. I banished it away. For one, I was pretty sure Emily was too innocent. For two, I didn't care. We had a while before we ever needed to think about that.