Chapter Twenty-Eight - Reveal

- Corren -

"They're afraid of you, you know."

"Good."

"How is that good?"

I hopped off the top of the bench. "Because less people will pick a fight with me."

"Except for Grayson and his friends." Hannah muttered.

"I think that's the first fight I've lost in a while." I said in thought.

"I'd hardly call it a fight." Hannah stood up. "A fair fight is between two people. Grayson was a coward and let others join in."

I could hear a bitterness in her voice. She resented them for what they did. "Don't worry about it, but it goes to show what you're in for if you're still stuck on being my friend."

Hannah smirked. "Of course I am."

"I figured you'd say that."

Hannah stepped closer. "Listen Corren, I know what it's like to be alone. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I'm here for you. Always. I'm in for anything."

I leaned away, her voice held a double meaning when she said anything.

"Anyway," Hannah quickly changed the subject. "How's your girlfriend?"

"She's alright. I hope." I watched people pass us by including a couple that did me no justice.

"Hope? Do you not know?"

"In truth I really don't," I shrugged. "She tells me she's okay, but I have no way of really knowing that."

"Must be hard to love someone on the other side of the world."

"Not at all." I faced Hannah. "It gets hard not being with her, but me loving her hasn't changed. She could be anywhere in the world and I'd still love her all the same. Distance doesn't change that."

"I see. You know with winter break around the corner there's this rich kid who likes to throw winter parties. You should come. You could use the distraction."

"I'll think about it." It had been a while since I'd been to a party, and rich kids went all out.

Then again, I wasn't so sure I wanted to fall back into old habits, especially with Hannah. The bell rang for the next class, snapping me out of my head.

Hannah shouldered her backpack and smiled at me. "Cheer up. One more class then we're home free."

"Yeah... home free..."

North Carolina was four hours ahead of Alaska. At 8:30 it was 12:30am for Emily. When we talked, we talked for hours and I felt guilty for taking away her sleep on school nights. She didn't mind though, but I wished things were different.

"How are things at home?"

"Weird, but in a good way." I answered. "My mom cooked dinner for the first time in a year."

"Wow that's amazing."

"Yeah, I could hardly believe it."

"What did she make?"

"Some casserole. It tasted horrible, but I wasn't going to complain."

Emily and I busted out laughing. It felt good to laugh with her. If only I could have seen her in person.

"Any plans for winter break?" I asked.

"No, not really. Megan and the others will probably drag me out on some mini vacation, but you know how that goes."