1.

Brooklyn Milani twirled in front of her floor-length mirror that was situated in front of her closet's double doors. Did she like the diamond Tiffany earrings better with the outfit or were the dangly emerald ones from Kays a better match?

She decided on the diamonds when her roommate Elena Delgado strolled in, looking especially sexy in her navy blue colored romper.

"Hola," Elena greeted her best friend, speaking her native language of Spanish. Elena loved to make sure that everybody knew where her roots were from. Brooklyn had always been jealous of how close Elena was to her culture. Quite frankly, Brooklyn didn't really know where she was from.

Fortunately, Brooklyn didn't let Elena's heritage get to her. "Hey," Brooklyn nodded back, giving Elena a simple glance. Brooklyn quickly looked back to her reflection. She had spent hours perfecting this look just for her amazing boyfriend, Michael Foreman.

Perfection was definitely the word Brooklyn would use to describe her and Michael's relationship. They were a perfect match; Brooklyn being the most popular girl at her prestigious private school of Richmond Country Prep (or RPC, as the students called it) and Michael being the most popular guy at RPC's brother school, Saint Julius. Michael was also somewhat of a lacrosse star. In fact, that night was the night of a party in honor of the Saint Julius lacrosse team winning states.

Brooklyn's other best friend, Serena Khan, had the brilliant idea of surprising Michael tonight at the party. Serena was the brains of the group, so it wasn't surprising when Serena came up with good ideas.

Speaking of her best friends, Serena and the last member of their little group, Lacie Harraway, entered Brooklyn and Elena's room.

"Brookie!" Lacie exclaimed, gesturing wildly at Brooklyn's outfit.

"Oh, stop," Brooklyn drawled, secretly willing her friends to continue praising her. "You make me blush."

Serena snorted and crossed her arms. "We better get going. Fashionably late is one thing. Three hours late is another. By the way, after an hour, fashionably late turns into plain rude."

Elena shrugged, jumping up from her bed. "Whatever. The party doesn't really start until we walk in," she said.

"Is Diana coming with us?" Lacie asked, referring to their other friend, Diana Keys.

In Brooklyn's mind, Diana wasn't even considered her friend. She was more like an annoying pet fly that you couldn't get rid of. Brooklyn was bewildered at how Diana managed to get that far high in the social ladder. That's why Brooklyn allowed Diana to even call herself their friend. To keep her in check. They all lived together in the same dorm house called Windsor.

"Fortunately she isn't," Brooklyn practically sang, swiping mascara onto her eyelashes. "We're Diana-free!"

Elena giggled, pretending to hold up a wine glass up as a toast. "To being Diana-free!" she cheered.

Serena and Brooklyn held up pretend wine glasses and clinked their fists in the middle, whooping and hollering.

Quietly, Lacie mumbled to herself, "I like Diana."

Brooklyn put all her makeup back in her desk, grabbing her purse and shoving her necessities in it. "I don't understand why you do," she spoke, mainly to her purse. "I mean, that girl has an ego bigger than the moon."

"So do you, Brookie."

Brooklyn waved her hand in the air, in a nonchalant gesture. "But I actually have assets to be proud of."

From behind her, Brooklyn heard a groan. It was probably from Lacie.

"Whatever," Brooklyn muttered, "let's just go!"