13.

Elena was the one who picked up Brooklyn from the hospital. As Brooklyn opened the door of the Range Rover, Elena offered her a cup of cocoa from Starbucks.

"Thanks," Brooklyn sighed, grabbing the cup and enjoying the warmth from the drink as it spread onto her fingers.

"What else are friends for?" Elena winked, stepping on the accelerator and speeding away from that god-awful place.

Brooklyn was sure she that looked awful. She spent the rest of the previous night waiting for the person who attacked her. Her finger nails made dents in her skin from Brooklyn pressing on her palm so hard. Her eyes stung whenever she blinked.

Within moments, Brooklyn was finally back at Windsor. The tall brick building towered over her, with warm lights from inside shining through the windows. When she stepped inside, she felt her shoulders slump down in relief.

"Brookie!" Lacie smiled, embracing Brooklyn rightly. She held on just as tight. Lacie was definitely somebody Brooklyn owed more than her life to.

Smiling and closing her eyes, Brooklyn finally released her friend. "I never got to thank you for yesterday," Brooklyn started, her voice getting thick.

Lacie swatted her hand in the air, grinning. "Don't mention it. Seriously. I did what anybody would've done."

Instead of responding, Brooklyn yawned.

"Did you get any sleep last night?" Serena asked, bluntly.

Elena smacked her shoulder, causing Serena to protest and then look sheepish. "Not that you look like you didn't..."

Brooklyn laughed. "No, I didn't end up getting a lot of sleep, butI have to see somebody before I head up to bed," she said, glancing at the clock. She only hoped that he would be home.

Lacie's smile wavered. "Who do you need to see now?" she inquired, raising a brow and looking suspicious.

"Chris," Brooklyn lied. "I'll be back soon, promise!"

She didn't wait for her friend's responses as she spun around, grabbed Elena's keys, and left the house. The drive to Saint Julius wasn't long at all, but it gave Brooklyn enough time to think. She didn't feel like herself at all. The feeling was odd to her. She would compare it to being like a ghost; her mind floating through her body, not attached to anything.

Parking the car outside of the Daniel Horse house, she knocked on the door. This time, Simon answered it.

"Hey," he said, looking both surprised and confused.

Brooklyn shoved her hands in her pockets, glanced around behind her, and shoved Simon back inside the house. "I need another favor," she started.

Simon glanced behind him, where his room mates were all watching them in curiosity. "Can we take this upstairs?" he asked, lowering his voice.

"Fine," Brooklyn answered, letting out a yawn.

She followed him upstairs and into his room. On her way, Chris's door was in the midst of swinging open. Panicking, she darted past Simon into his room and pulled him in, shutting the door and locking it.

"What?" Simon snickered. "Your boyfriend can't find you in here?"

Brooklyn glared at him. "That's not your concern. Like I said before, I need another favor."

"And like I said before, favors cost money."

Rolling her eyes, Brooklyn whipped out her checkbook, feeling a sense of déjà vu wash over her. "I have the money. Now, I need you to get me a gun."