20.

As soon as Brooklyn stepped inside Windsor, she felt a chill run up her spine, like she had just been jolted with a tiny volt of electricity. Her heart was already beating a thousand times a minute, but something still felt off.

Fumbling around, she felt the wall for the light switch. As soon as she located it, she firmly applied pressure to it and felt the familiar click as light flooded the room. Brooklyn trailed her gaze over the living room and let out a whimper of surprise when she saw Lacie sitting on the couch, sipping from a glass of wine.

"Lacie," Brooklyn exhaled, letting her shoulders slump back down. She slung her bag higher on her shoulder and ambled over to the love seat. "You will not believe what just happened."

Lacie calmly brought the glass up to her lips in response. "Let me guess," she drawled, casually shifting in her seat. "You went to see Chris, despite my warning."

Brooklyn opened her mouth to reply, but decided not to respond. She furrowed her brows in confusion. Someone was weird with the way Lacie was acting. She sounded more pensive than usual. 

"Did you kill him?" Lacie asked, lowering her voice so nobody would hear. She leaned forwards in her seat, awaiting Brooklyn's answer.

Brooklyn's gaze was fixed on Lacie's wine, which was swirling around with each of Lacie's movements. "No. I couldn't."

Lacie scoffed, shaking her head and sitting back in her original position. She took a sip and shook her head. "So he's X. Now what?"

"I have no idea," Brooklyn honestly replied. In her pocket, her phone buzzed. She took it out, unlocked it, and felt a vile taste in her mouth as she saw that it was from Chris.

Don't go back to Windsor. It's dangerous. -Chris

Brooklyn wanted to laugh. He was seriously still trying to play the good guy? Brooklyn deleted the message and turned back to Lacie, who was watching her with a politely interested expression.

"Was that the devil himself?" she asked, raising a brow.

Brooklyn nodded, rolling her eyes. "What do we do? I don't-I don't want to hurt him or anything. But he needs to stay quiet," she explained, trying to put together a plan. But all her ideas were either too extreme or not satisfying enough.

Lacie scrunched her brows together and sipped at her wine. There was still a tiny bit left in the glass. "I say we just kill him and hide the body."

Inhaling sharply, Brooklyn looked at her friend with wide eyes. She wondered why Lacie was acting so weird tonight? She glanced at the wine and figured it was because Lacie had a few too many glasses prior to when Brooklyn entered the house.

"I know he's an awful person," Brooklyn started, her voice shaking. "But I still love him. I don't think I could stomach knowing that I killed him, even though he probably wouldn't do the same for me. And after Diana...I don't want to just kill people when I don't get my way." 

Lacie's expression was unreadable. She looked furious, like she was about to slap Brooklyn in the face. But as quickly as the expression came on, it suddenly disappeared and was replaced with a look of tranquility.

Tilting the glass up to her lips, Lacie finished the rest of the remaining wine. She took a deep breath and stood up. "Oh, Brookie," she sighed, a baleful smile smile stretching on her lips. "If only you didn't let your feelings get in the way of what really mattered."

Before Brooklyn could ask what Lacie meant by that, Lacie suddenly brought the glass down onto Brooklyn's head causing her to instantly blackout with only the resonance of glass shattering echoing in her head.