Prologue

Rose turned to Christian as she heard him sigh.

"I don't know what to do," he admitted finally, meeting her gaze. "If he's telling the truth and you get hurt..." He pulled her tighter.

"He's not," she insisted, scowling in the direction Nate had departed. "He's just being Nate."

Despite her words, Rose couldn't help but feel uneasy. She glanced around, feeling the happy atmosphere darken. A pop of a champagne cork and the laughter that followed had her wheeling around in fright, and she searched the room with new eyes; what once seemed bright and happy turning sinister and garish.

She felt Christian stiffen in her arms, but was too busy trying to drown out the steadily rising noise around her - a cacophony of music and laughter. It threatened to fill her head, leaving no room for softly spoken words, yet Rose heard every syllable that Christian uttered as if he'd spoken directly into her ear:

"They're here."

She registered the horror in his tone long before she understood the reason for it, seeing only brief, blurred movement in her periphery. She blinked to focus on the auras around her and gasped in shock as the room took on an ominous black glow, reflecting off the pressed white of the tablecloths.

Christian reached out, grabbing her face in his hands and turning it towards his.

"Don't look," he hissed. "Keep your eyes on me."

*Please vote and comment if you like my work - I love hearing from you!*