Chapter 6

Finally, it was Saturday. Rose, at a loss for what to do, had called in on Ben to see if he was up. He'd thrown a crumpled tee-shirt at her as he turned over in bed, telling her in no uncertain terms to, "get lost, I'm sleeping." So she'd headed out into the pedestrianised streets of Cambridge to while away a couple of hours.

Wandering around the picturesque town, she browsed through its stores and gazed up at the many architecturally interesting buildings and churches that lined the cobblestone streets.

She had drifted over to the window of a little bookstore to admire the hardbacks on display when she heard a call from behind her.

"Rose!" Nate crossed the street, dodging a cyclist that flew by.

"Hi," she greeted. His black shirt was creased and the collar rumpled. A shadow of stubble lined his jaw and his eyes were tired. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," he waved away her concern, "Just in desperate need of coffee."

"Out all night?" she guessed from the state of him, wondering where he'd been. She considered the most obvious answer, surprised at the twinge of disappointment she felt.

Nate grinned. "I met some guys from Magdalene College," he rubbed the back of his neck in amused recollection. "They sure can drink."

Rose smiled, her fears allayed. "Come on," she said, taking his arm. "Let's get you human again."

Two coffees later, Nate was looking decidedly more normal, otherwise unaffected by his night of debauchery. He took her hand as they meandered along the cobbled streets.

"Were you doing anything specific before I so rudely interrupted you?" he asked, as they passed Saint Mary's Church on their way back to campus.

"Nope." She shook her head. "Just window shopping."

"Fancy a proper drink?" he asked.

"Now?" It was barely noon.

"The Sun's over the yardarm," he shrugged in response.

"I have no idea what that means."

Nate raised an eyebrow at her baffled expression. "Old Navy saying," he explained. "It was considered bad form to drink before the sun was over the yardarm – part of the sail of a ship."

"So you're a sailor now?" she teased.

"It has been said that I drink like one," he acknowledged with a grin. "Come on." He tugged her arm, still linked with his. "I know a place you'll like."

----------

Located in the Great Court, the Trinity Bar was a modern mix of wood and white, the orange lights and brown leather armchairs creating a cosy glow. It was deserted, save for the barman, who nodded in welcome as they entered, and a man sipping coffee at one of the tables, who did not.

"Can you play?" Nate asked, following Rose's gaze to the pool table in the corner, as he ordered drinks.

"No," Rose admitted. "I never learned." She considered the countless times Ben had tried to teach her with a smile.

"Excellent," Nate grinned. "I love a cliché." He took her hand, leading her to the table.

They whiled away the morning, Nate doing his best to show Rose the basics, and her failing miserably to grasp them.

"Does this usually work?" she teased, as he helped her line up her shot, his body pressed flush to hers.

"Most people manage to hit the ball, at least."